Key Glock brings rap back to Starkville

Music Maker Productions (MMP), part of Mississippi State University’s Student Affairs, has announced they are hosting the rapper Key Glock in concert at the Mississippi Horse Park on March 31. Key Glock is a popular rapper from Memphis, Tennessee, with almost seven million monthly listeners on Spotify. He is best known for songs such as “Mr. Glock” and “Russian Cream.”
The rapper was first brought to fame by his late cousin, Young Dolph, and has been considered by many to be his protégé.
Throughout years of making music together, Key Glock finally released his debut mixtape “Glock Season” in 2018. This record achieved over 70,000 streams and started his successful career with the label Paper Route Empire.
Starkville has not hosted a rap concert since 2018, and MMP is excited to bring this type of event back to the community.
Mollie Brothers is the public relations chair at MMP, and explained that while large concerts are infrequent, they are thrilling to host.
“I am really excited to see everyone at a show like this. It’s not super often we get to do a concert of this genre and scale,” Brothers said.
The Horse Park provides an open, large venue that can easily hold a concert of this size and popularity. Brothers expressed her excitement for the venue and expects it to be a great environment for this event.
A freshman member of MMP, Henry Sanders enjoys bringing live music to campus and describes it as a unique feeling.
“I think a lot of people are really excited for Key Glock, which makes me extremely excited,” Sanders said.
The student body has expressed astonishing interest in Key Glock’s performance as well.
Sophomore art major Emma Moody describes herself as one of Key Glock’s biggest fans.
“When I heard Key Glock was coming to Starkville, I freaked out. For some reason I just never expected him to do a concert here. I am beyond excited and I already bought tickets,” Moody said.
The COVID-19 pandemic has put a heavy strain on the live music industry, and social distancing restrictions have resulted in cancellations of many live events. The spring Key Glock concert provides an opportunity to bring that exciting feeling back for one night.
Brothers expressed her excitement for the students to finally be able to come together.
“I can’t wait to see everyone interact and enjoy the live music together,” Brothers said.
The event also offers a place where busy college students can take a break from schoolwork and exams to have a fun, music-filled night.
“These next few months are going to be hard as the semester begins to pick up. Exams and studying can be difficult and I think events like these are the best way to unwind with your friends and get a break,” Moody said.
MMP has put on many live music events including Grouplove in 2021 and A$AP Ferg in 2018. They are a student-led organization that focuses on bringing live music events to MSU’s campus.
Tickets for Key Glock’s upcoming concert are on sale now at the MSU ticketing website, the Center for Student Activities in the Colvard Student Union and will be for sale at the gate on concert day. Student tickets are $15 and general admission tickets are $20. If bought at the door, general admission tickets will be $25.
Doors for the concert will open at 7 p.m. on March 31. There is a parental advisory due to explicit content. The Horse Park is located at 869 East Poorhouse Road and parking will be available.
MMP cannot release information about future events, however they encourage students to follow their social media accounts for updates.

Lizzie Tomlin
Lizzie Tomlin, Staff Writer
Lizzie Tomlin is a senior political science major. Lizzie is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.