Streaming Now: Yellowstone

Courtesy Photo | Movie Database
Streaming Now: Yellowstone

Service: Paramount Plus
Show Title: “Yellowstone”
Tune in every week for a new review for what is trending on your services.
“Yellowstone” is not the kind of show I normally watch. I prefer my complex, inter-faction warring to happen on a backdrop of stars or fantastical elements, thank you very much. But for all that preference built up over time, “Yellowstone” is a good example of a show which defies all expectations.
On the surface, this show is just about the relationships between the three main players: the leaders of an indigenous reservation, land developers and a truly gigantic cattle ranch. Deeper down the show is about a bunch of headstrong people all trying to get their own way and attempting to do whatever it would take to make it happen.
For the reservation folks, it is the journey to reclaim their rights to property they feel was stolen. For the real estate developers, their pursuit is buying up as much land as possible to turn into residential space, and who cares what else is on there? For the ranching family, it is just holding onto what they have built by any means possible, up to and including detonating more dynamite than could possibly be legal for any group to have outside of the military all to stop another group from getting their way.
One thing this show does very well is there is no true morally just side. Every one of the participants are corrupt and are driven beyond the lengths any normal person would go to up until pursing actions of questionable legality. It is a monument to human stubbornness.
Despite the characters’ personal philosophies, it is impossible to deny the beautiful storytelling, wonderful score and gorgeous cinematography. The characters are written in an intriguing way and the backdrop of rural Montana makes it all feel grounded and authentic. It is easy to see why “Yellowstone” is popular enough to get a fifth season put into the works.