Starkville music scene back in action after COVID-19

Courtesy Photo | Kelli Jacobs

Trevor Wycoff, Hunter Walt, Susie Hunt, and Theodore Brocato are in local band Bad Data. They returned to performing in person after the COVID-19 pandemic. Pictured is a performance at Nine-Twentynine Coffee Bar.

As COVID-19 restrictions come to an end, live music and studio sessions are finally making a comeback in Starkville. Venues Like Moe’s Original BBQ, Rick’s Cafe and Nine-Twentynine Coffee Bar have been hosting live performers and Mississippi State University has sponsored multiple live music events. 
Starkville houses a variety of music genres and creators. The diversity spans from electronic DJs to old school bluegrass bands. As the local music scene expands, there are many artists eager to entertain the Starkville community.
Bad Data, a local band in the area, has experience with the music scene before and after COVID-19 restrictions. Bass player Susie Hunt described her experiences with Starkville residents and visitors as her primary audience.
“I think audiences in Starkville, even pre-COVID, tend to be pretty receptive. Depending on the venue, you will get people who you can tell are really excited to be there,” she said.
As someone who has played in the local music scene for many years, Hunt compared her perspective from before and after the pandemic. 
“I feel like after COVID I have seen more student bands. I think there is still the issue that there was before COVID, which is that there aren’t necessarily a lot of places to play,” she said.
Due to the small amount of live music venues, many artists have concerns about their opportunities to play. Elone, another local artist, creates music that mixes hyperpop and underground Soundcloud rap. He describes his shared struggle to find venues to play his music.
“Venues in Starkville tend to support bands and a small margin of genres. It is very rare that you see a local solo artist performing, and even more rare to see someone in our community playing live here. I think there is room for expansion, and I think there is always progress,” he said.
Though Starkville may have an issue providing venues, there is no shortage of community between musicians, Elone said. 
“I am a local,” Elone said. “A lot of the people I have met in Starkville that make similar music to mine and record with me are my friends. It’s something we do for fun and putting it out on streaming platforms is something we do when we hang out. The community is small enough that we all know each other and can work together to make music.”
Make it To May, a new punk rock band, is composed of students from Mississippi State University. Freshman communication major Julian Dedeaux, a member of Make it To May, has just recently broken into the local music scene. He describes what he has seen in the community. 
“There is so much potential; there are so many musicians here,” he said.
Dedeaux describes how local music is supported in the community. 
“Because of generous business owners like Rick from Rick’s Cafe, Hobie (Hobie’s On Main owner) and the others that have bars here, bands can have a chance,” Dedeaux said. 
Though there is a large circle of local artists, they need support from the community to continue playing their music. Music lovers are encouraged to buy band merchandise, attend live events, stream their songs, and follow their social media.  
Dedeaux said live music should be incorporated in the more casual side of nightlife. He suggests hiring local artists to perform at parties and events in replacement of a pre-made playlist and a speaker.
Dedeaux summarizes how Starkville residents can support local artists.
“Simply put, the best way to support local bands is showing up to our stuff. Follow our social media and come support our gigs,” Dedeaux said.

Lizzie Tomlin
Lizzie Tomlin, Staff Writer
Lizzie Tomlin is a senior political science major. Lizzie is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.