Library hosts civil rights events

Tiffany+Patterson
David Lewis
Tiffany Patterson

On Wednesday, the Mississippi State University libraries and African American Studies Program began hosting a series of film screenings, discussions and seminars about America’s civil rights struggle in the Mitchell Memorial Library Auditorium.
After receiving a grant from the National Endowment for Humanities and Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History, the MSU libraries and African American Studies Program presented “The Abolitionists” film Wednesday with the discussion and seminar on Thursday.
Presentations will continue with the viewing of “Freedom Riders” at 7 p.m. on Feb. 10 and the discussion and seminar at 3 p.m. on Feb. 11. The final film “The Loving Story” will be viewed at 7 p.m. on March 3 with the discussion and seminar at 3 p.m. on March 4.
Stephen Cunetto, libraries systems administrator, said the film viewings and seminars are part of NEH’s project to have continuing conversations about the civil rights struggle.
“Dr. Middleton and I applied for the NEH grant, which provides funding to put on this series and to show the films,” Cunetto said. “They give us the films and the public performance rights to show the films.”
Cunetto said the film screenings and discussions open up conversations about different cultures and bridging gaps between them.
“The Gilder Lehrman and NEH see the movies as a way of having a discussion about the films and the themes that are found within them,” Cunetto said.
Stephen Middleton, MSU’s African American Studies director, said the structure of viewing the films and having discussions and seminars after the film viewing are very important.
“We’re not just having movie night,” Middleton said. “We’re showcasing films on a night different from the actual seminar presentation so our guests will be able to see the extended documentation, and the next day they will be able to hear an expert in the field discuss them. People will have an opportunity to participate in the discussions, and that’s what’s important to us.”
Middleton said the Civil Rights Movement of the 20th century has made today’s society more free.
“The University is an intellectual community where there is a free flow of ideas and a range of subjects,” Middleton said. “This film series certainly allows the university to have conversations about not only African-Americans, but the United States and how it has evolved along the lines of civil rights.”
Middleton also said the film viewings tie into MSU’s strategic plan to advance diversity.
“The idea of changing views and changing lives allows people of a different background to discuss a movement that ultimately opened the United States to all people,” Middleton said.
Middleton said he hopes the film viewings and seminars will help people take pride in the growth of this nation, realizing that every community and country has problems.
“It’s one thing to have a problem or face a challenge and stay there,” Middleton said. “What’s true for this country is that we didn’t stay with those problems; we’ve made progress. This is an opportunity for people to realize what we have achieved over many decades.”
Frances Coleman, dean of libraries at MSU, said the cooperation between MSU’s libraries and African-American Studies program in sponsoring the presentations is something she feels proud to be a part of.
“We are helping everybody to better understand history, and we do this while representing all of our students and all faces of history,” Coleman said.  “NEH sponsoring these screenings is a great representation, and we are excited to be presenting things that will help our students.”