Koenning leaves Bulldogs for Texas

Mississippi State University’s football offensive coordinator Les Koenning has officially been named the wide receiver’s coach at the University of Texas, Longhorns’ head coach Charlie Strong announced Wednesday. 
Koenning said in a news release he is honored to work on Strong’s staff.
“I have known Charlie for a long time and am thoroughly, thoroughly impressed with the way he coaches football,” said Koenning. “I’m just happy to be a part of this because he is a very successful coach, and being able to help him at The University of Texas was really exciting for me.”
Hookemreport.com first reported Koenning was leaving to go to Texas Tuesday. Koenning has served as the head of the offense at MSU for the past five seasons. He also served as the quarterback’s coach. 
Koenning, a native of Houston, Texas, played wide receiver at Texas from 1977-80. He served as a graduate assistant at Texas for two years after graduation. 
From there, he held various graduate assistant and position coaching jobs, including running backs coach at MSU from 1986-89. 
He landed his first offensive coordinator position at Duke in 1998 and went on to serve as offensive coordinator at five other schools including Houston, Alabama and Texas A&M before returning to MSU in 2009. 
Under Koenning, the MSU offense enjoyed its most success in school history. The Bulldogs’ offensive record book has been rewritten time and time again while Koenning was at MSU, including setting nine records in 2013. 
Koenning will complete Strong’s new staff at Texas. The most notable player Koenning will be in charge of is Jaxon Shipley, the younger brother of notable Longhorn receiver Jordan Shipley, who returns after 589 yards receiving and a touchdown last season. 
Shipley led the Longhorns last season with 56 receptions. Armanti Foreman is a four-star wide receiver recruit, according to ESPN, who will look to get a lot of playing time as a freshman this fall under Koenning’s direction.
Losing Koenning will be one of only a few losses for the offense this season. The offense will lose Tyler Russell, LaDarius Perkins and Gabe Jackson among others to graduation.  
No names have emerged as early candidates for the job. Though, no matter whom the hire, Bulldog head coach Dan Mullen will continue to play a big role in the offense for the foreseeable future.