Aspen Heights sponsors students on trip to Africa

Aspen+Heights
Jacob Critz | Courtesy Photo
Aspen Heights

In May 2014, Aspen Heights will sponsor students and residents of all Aspen locations to embark on their second student trip to Africa.
Stuart Watkins, Aspen Heights public relations director, said the Aspen Heights in Africa regime began a few years ago when the organization decided it needed to have an impact piece, something that would allow students and employees to travel abroad and create a positive difference.
“This is a new way to immerse students into a new culture,” Watkins said. “Not only residents of Aspen, any student who wants to get involved and broaden their spectrum is welcome to go on the trip.”
Martina Scheuermann, Aspen Height’s vision trip coordinator, said the trip introduces those participating to life in Rwanda and Kenya and assists in learning about the genocide and history of the country, community service, reading and serving food to children, as well as completing service projects.
“As a company, we take it personally that we partner with organizations in Africa,” Scheuermann said. “Seeing and experiencing another culture is something you can’t do every day. We do this to make a global impact.”
Aspen Height’s first student trip to Africa, which included employees as well, was in the summer of 2011. Students are required to pay their own way, a fee of about $4,000. Aspen takes care of programming, trip leaders and training program fees.
Kara Guinn, senior English major at Texas State University and participant of Aspen’s first student trip to Africa, said she recalls visiting the Masai tribe and helping with the Imbirikani all-girls school in Kenya.
“It was an unforgettable, amazing and extremely unique experience,” Guinn said. “I shed tons of happy tears, and it was an emotional experience. I got to meet members of the tribe and see the culture first-hand.”
Guinn said the trip to Africa allows residents of Aspen Heights to see first-hand where their money goes.
“A portion of the money students pay for rent at Aspen Heights goes to the Aspen Heights in Africa program, which is donated to the Rwanda ‘Africa New Life’ inner-city orphanage,” Guinn said. “The most important thing this trip taught me is to value my education and embrace the education experience that I am receiving.”
Jacob Critz, director of marketing logistics for Aspen Heights, said the Aspen organization is currently in the process of finalizing the application process for students to begin applying for the trip.
“There is a total of 10 slots total to be filled for the trip,” Critz said. “A $500 deposit will be required at the end of the application process for those who will be participating.”
Scheuermann said Aspen will begin providing students and residents with application information at the end of January. For more information, visit [email protected].