Discovery of new ligament in human knee soon to make a difference

The human knee is a complex and fragile joint. It plays a crucial role in comfortable human mobility. The structures associated with the knee endure and enforce all the complicated twists, pivots and forces involved in everyday movement. Unfortunately, one wrong move could cause serious injury to the knee. Millions of people, particularly student athletes, struggle with knee injuries each year. These injuries can often be the end of a career or impair a person’s movement for life.  
   One of the most prevalent injuries to the knee is a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament, also known as the ACL. An ACL tear is often bad news to athletes due to a lengthy recovery period and problems that occur after the ACL is repaired. Some patients experience “pivot-shift,” or times when the knee gives out during activity. But could a recent discovery in Belgium change the way ACL injuries are treated?
   Knee surgeons from University Hospitals Leuven recently discovered a new ligament in the human knee, which was eventually given the name anterolateral ligament (ALL). Orthopedic surgeons Dr. Steven Claes and professor John Bellemans are conducting research into severe ACL tears and the possible effect such injuries might have on the ALL ligament. It is believed these surgeons have discovered a possible breakthrough in the treatment of ACL tears.
   According to the ScienceDaily branch of NBC News, researchers are fairly certain that pivot shift in post-ACL tears is the direct result of an injury to the ALL ligament. Some of the results were published in the “Journal of Anatomy,” giving the researchers praise for reminding the medical world there is still much more to be discovered in regard to the human body. Dr. Claes and Bellemans still use the results of their research to find surgical procedures to repair injuries to the ALL. “ScienceDaily” states their results will be ready in a few years. It is believed that the ALL is present in 97 percent of the population.
  This research sounds wonderful to the common citizen or athlete who struggles with post-ACL injury. But is it possible that the assumptions behind this discovery have been released prematurely? I stated all “ScienceDaily” had to offer in regard to the connection between the ACL and ALL. Keep in mind the ALL was discovered through a separate cadaver study using microscopic dissection techniques. After the discovery of the ALL, I have found little research that proves an injury to the ALL has a connection with a tear of the ACL.
  I first heard about this new discovery by word of instructors within the kinesiology department at Mississippi State University. After examining this same article, they felt there is still much work to be done in regard to this discovery. John Lamberth, associate professor and graduate coordinator anatomy & neuropathophysiology, explained his hesitation toward the research.
    “I need a little more research into this. Now, I’m not saying it’s not there. I’m only saying that, before they publish articles like this, they need to actually prove that’s what it is,” he said. “For example, maybe they could sever the ALL and see what it does. Then they could do the same for the ACL and compare them. If they got results, then they could look into new treatments and publish it and all that,” Lamberth said.
   This article is just a reminder that, as educated students, it is never practical to take the first word of a source. But it is also important to keep an open mind and think about it rather than bash them right away.
   We all, however, remain hopeful that further research indicates hope for post-ACL treatments. Though this research is still in its early stages, it is worth keeping track. Always be observant in what you hear, but keep an open mind, and you might find some interesting things you will eventually deal with every day.