Rhodes scholar delivers MLK speech

David Lewis
Donald “Field” Brown

The 20th annual Martin Luther King Jr. unity breakfast convened in Mississippi State University’s Colvard Student Union Jan. 20. 
Donald “Field” Brown, senior English and philosophy double major, the university’s recently-named Rhodes Scholar was the keynote speaker at the event.
Brown said the national celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday is a testament to the progress America has made, but King’s observation that, “signs of victory have already occurred, but are not yet completed” still rings true.
“It is an honor to be a part in any extent of Dr. King’s legacy, so I was happy to be invited by Dr. Keenum, and it was definitely a great privilege,” Brown said. 
MSU President Mark Keenum said he was thrilled by the overwhelming turnout to this event and the overflowing auditorium.
 “It inspires me to see this community come together and celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, and as I mentioned, I truly believe that Dr. King would be so pleased to see a young man like Field Brown who has accomplished so much in his life,” Keenum said. 
The program began at 7 a.m. in the Colvard Student Union’s Foster Ballroom with breakfast. The formal activities began at 8 a.m. and concluded at 9:30 a.m.
Starkville Mayor Parker Wiseman, who offered Brown the recognition of an honorary Starkville resident, said the program was excellent, and he was blown away by the message that Brown delivered.
“I thought he was pitch-perfect in recognizing the accomplishments of the past and also laying the foundation of the challenge for the future,” Wiseman said. 
David Shaw, vice president for research and economic development said this MLK day was the best yet, and Brown did a fabulous job not only at inspiring, but challenging the audience for the further advances that needed to be made.
“My heart is bursting with pride to see someone of his caliber be able to go represent Mississippi so very well,” Shaw said.
Brown is one of 32 U.S. residents selected this year for the Rhodes Scholarship. Scholars are selected on the basis of demonstrated commitment to others and the common good, as well as their scholarly achievements and leadership potential.
Thomas Anderson, associate professor at the Shackouls Honors College, said few students balance deep humility with remarkable academic promise as well as Brown does.
“I feel so proud of Field, Mississippi State has so many remarkable students doing interesting research and engaging in meaningful service. Field’s success, I hope, gives students here the confidence that they can compete with any student from any institution in the nation,” Anderson said.
Dan Coleman, former director of recruitment at MSU said Brown is a man of integrity and hard work–a man that lives out his faith daily.
“I have known Field since he was in eighth grade. I had the privilege to meet him with his family during his older brother campus visit. I am so impressed with Field and the way he accepts responsibility as a student and fulfills his obligation,” Coleman said. “Field is self-motivated, disciplined and inspires me to be a better person in so many areas. I hope one day I have a son that resembles everything that Field Brown is as a person.”
Brown said he has grown in every way at MSU and promises to take the values learned in Starkville to Oxford, England.