MSU wildlife professor invested in students, leaves community legacy

Mississippi State University associate wildlife, fisheries, and aquaculture professor Dr. Sam Riffell died Aug. 11.
In a statement, Sid Salter, director of Public Affairs, said the entire university is grieving after the loss of Dr. Riffell. 
“Dr. Riffell’s untimely passing is indeed a real loss to the university community. He was a gifted and respected member of our faculty andknown to many in Starkville as a loving and engaged father. His family, friends and colleagues remain in our thoughts and prayers,” hesaid.
A memorial service for Riffell was held at Starkville Community Church on Aug. 16.
Dr. Eric Dibble, interim head of the department of wildlife, fisheries, and aquaculture, said the memorial service was attended by over 1,000 people from across the country.
“All of his colleagues and graduate students from the department came,” Dibble said.
Dibble said Riffell was a talented teacher and an invaluable researcher.
“He was one of the most important faculty members we had in our department. He published very well, so his contributions to the department were enormous,” Dibble said.
Dibble said Riffell also enjoyed serving as undergraduate coordinator for the department.
“He worked face-to-face with about 200 students every semester,” Dibble said. “He was probably one of the most caring faculty members toward our undergraduates.”
Dibble said Riffell had a deep passion for exploring the natural world and sharing it with students.
“He told me one time that if he could reach every young student in our department and show them the beauty of nature, he would feel satisfied,” Dibble said.
Colleagues said Riffell was a highly respected by his peers across the country.
Entomology research associate JoVonn Hill, who was one of Riffell’s first contacts upon arriving at MSU, said Riffell’s work organizing the Southeastern Prairie Conference in 2013 stood out as a prime example of his gift for planning and coordinating.
“Everyone who attended said it was the best meeting they had ever been to,” Hill said. “[Riffell] was a big part of that.”
Hill said Riffell made many contributions to the field of grassland research. 
“I think he should be applauded for his work in grassland research here in Mississippi and the Southeast,” he said.
Entomology research associate Jennifer Seltzer said Riffell was always willing to collaborate on research with other departments, including the Mississippi Entomology Museum.
“He always included the museum in grants,” Seltzer said. “He always tried to include us in some way, and it wasn’t just talk.”
Seltzer said Riffell, though talented in many areas, did not seek out praise and was quite modest about his abilities.
“He was always very modest, so it was hard to know just how good he was, because he didn’t brag about it,” Seltzer said.
Colleagues said Riffell, a father of two girls, was devoted to his family and spent as much time with them as possible.
Dibble said Riffell was passionate about his family and hoped to pass on his love of nature to his children.
“He talked a lot about his wife and daughters, and he was most excited when talking about his daughters going birding,” Dibble said. 
Hill said Riffell was highly involved in his daughters’ extracurricular activities.
“Sam was a big soccer coach here in town,” Hill said. “He did a lot with the girls, like putting together insect collections with them.”
Speaking for the entire wildlife, fisheries, and aquaculture department, Dibble said faculty, staff  and    students are all missing Riffell’s enthusiasm and caring personality.
“You could step in his office any time and get a big smile,” Dibble said. “We’re all missing him dearly.”
Angie Riffell, wife of Sam Riffell, expressed the professors devotion to teaching and love for students.
“I think that Sam was meant to be a professor,” she said.  “He inhaled entire books in one sitting then gave me a succinct summary. He also possessed an inherent sense of logic. He rarely remembered to shut the refrigerator door because he was always deep in thought.  He loved being a professor because he was able to spend his life surrounded by interesting colleagues and grad students who never lost their sense of wonder. This is the life that he dreamed about when we were college students ourselves, and he has passed these dreams of wonder and knowledg to our children.”