Summit promotes academic success, takes stance

On Friday Mississippi State University will be taking a proactive stance on the issues that affect the academic success of students by hosting the 2014 Men of Color Summit. 
Under the leadership of Mark Keenum, MSU President, MSU is ensuring all students are continuously encouraged to increase their academic standards. 
Greg Hunley, diversity research and assessment specialist, has geared this program to address specific needs of students identified by data such as the low retention rate of African American males at MSU. 
“Faculty, alumni and students will dialogue and address a variety of issues that affect the academic and professional success of African American males,” Hunley said. 
The issues that affect African American males are not just present at MSU. They are global. Representatives from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, CREATE Foundation and Rockefeller Foundation are just a few of the many that will be in attendance to support this effort to address these issues.  Tommy Stevenson, Chief Diversity Officer of MSU, believes that The Men of Color Summit was initiated not only to benefit men of color, but also anyone looking to network and enhance their outlook on worldly issues.
 “Everyone should be encouraged to constantly strive for excellence,” Stevenson said. 
There is an obvious misconception that the Men of Color Summit is only beneficial for men of color. 
Katherine Campbell, office associate in the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion, disagrees.
“Any person of any gender or ethnicity would benefit from networking and being empowered and inspired to set their sights on academic and professional success,” Campbell said.
MSU once again lives up to its long history of commitment to research and service by identifying the needs of students and making a valid effort to address them in order to foster academic success.