Stadium changes welcome Bulldog fans

Emma Katherine Hutto
Davis Wade Stadium

After four years of anticipation, the $75 million expansion and renovation project of Davis Wade Stadium at Scott Field is complete. Along with expansion, the Bulldogs will also celebrate calling Scott Field home for 100 years. 
In celebrating such milestones, Head Coach Dan Mullen said renewing the rivalry with the University of Southern Mississippi is a perfect fit for opening the 2014 season. 
“There’s going to be a lot of things going on, and to do that with a rivalry game against a team  in Southern Miss, I know it means a lot to the people in the state,” he said. “It was one of the first things when I got hired that was brought up. I was interested in resuming this rivalry between the two schools. I’m excited to be a part of this game that has a lot of tradition and history.”
MSU increased its maximum capacity to 61,337, which is the largest on-campus stadium in the state of Mississippi. The expansion allowed for an increase in in Loge seating and skyboxes, and added a Scoreboard Club and on-field Gridiron level. An additional video board was added to the north end zone, giving MSU the largest square footage of video board in college football. Both the north and south end zone boards combine for 14,035 square feet.
Renovations also called for a new north entrance which connects the east and west concourses, a Mississippi Plaza with counties surrounding an outline of the state and a brick façade. 
MSU Athletic Director Scott Stricklin said each detail was carefully developed in order to increase the fans’ experience.