Football season kicks off downtown festivities: GSDP hosts community block party, 929 showcases local artists

This weekend boasts the first game of the football season as the Bulldogs face the Golden Eagles of Southern Mississippi, but the city of Starkville promises to excite visitors, students and residents with free events downtown. 

To prepare for the large crowds of visitors, the Greater Starkville Development Partnership hosted “Get Swept Up!”  Wednesday. 

Jennifer Prather, special events & projects coordinator of the partnership, said over 500 volunteers participated in the community-wide clean up. This event is the precursor for the Downtown Block Party hosted by the partnership.

Prather explained partygoers will not be left desiring entertainment. The Spirit Squad will join Bully to kick things off with a pep rally. Live music, inflatable jumpers and food vendors add to the festive atmosphere. 

“We also work with the MSU Fashion Board, and we do a tailgating-wear fashion show featuring all of our member Main Street merchants,” she said. 

The Downtown Block Party is the first event in the Partnership’s “New South Weekend” series. The campaign centers around home football games throughout the fall. 

Prather mentioned this event is not only for students and residents, but also for visitors. 

“Most people come in town, they stay in a hotel, they have a two night minimum, so we give them something to do when they’re in town for that first night,” she said.

The Block Party will be held at College Park on Russell Street from 6-8 p.m. Friday. 

For another lively event downtown, 929 Coffee Bar will feature “Mississippi Made,” an art show designed to showcase local artists and musicians. 

Ronnie Burdette, floor manager for 929, praised Mississippi State Uiversity for its ability to draw artistic talent. 

“Mississippi State turns out tons of great artists every year, so we’re really trying to highlight that and show what the community brings to that,” he said.

Opportunities like “Mississippi Made” allow artists to directly connect with people in the community. 

Matt Lanke, a resident artist, said that events like this are welcome in Starkville. 

“Shows like these are a much-needed spotlight on the Starkville art scene. It brings people together from multiple disciplines and demographics in appreciation and support of local talent,” he said. 

Lanke will display a variety of work, including glow- in-the-dark screen prints, paintings and photography.

The show will be made up of almost a dozen artists from the area. Artists are invited by 929 to display and sell their art at no cost to them. 

Burdette said that previous art shows put on at the coffee shop have turned out a few hundred visitors. 

“We draw a lot of crowd walking down the street. They hear the music because we open up the garage door. They can hear it from outside, and it draws them in,” he said. 

The Greater Starkville Development Partnership will have multiple events throughout the fall. Prather said to look out for events like UnWine, Pumpkin Palooza, city-wide tailgates during homecoming weekend and the weekly Community Markets, as well as more music and art events at 929 throughout the semester.