Synthetic drug poses risk to college campuses

A New LSD-like drug has hit Mississippi’s college campuses and continues to spread among college students and teens. The 25I-NBOME is a psychedelic drug which may cause mood swings, mental or physical stimulation, confusion, looping, scrambled communication, nausea and insomnia, among other effects. The drug has various street names like “N-bomb,” “smiles” and  “25i” and is spread through online illicit channels.
On Nov. 15 2013, according to the United States Drug Enforcement Administration’s press release the DEA made the synthetic phenethylamines 25I-NBOMe,         25C-NBOMe, and 25B-NBOMe Schedule I, illegal drugs under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) for the following two years.
The DEA press release further states, “These drugs are marketed online and through illicit channels as illicit hallucinogens such as LSD. They have been encountered as powders, liquid solutions, soaked onto blotter paper and laced on edible items. There is no approved medical use for these particular synthetic drugs, nor has the Food and Drug Administration approved them for human consumption.
No published studies exist on their safety for human use.  The NBOMe compounds are substantially more potent than other hallucinogenic compounds, and the data suggest that extremely small amounts of these drugs can cause seizures, cardiac and respiratory arrest and death.”
The DEA press release also explains that in these synthetic drugs there is no way to know what substances and how much of them are included in any given amount. 
“Synthetic drugs like these have no consistent manufacturing and packaging processes and may contain drastically differing dosage amounts, a mix of several drugs and unknown adulterants,” the release said.  “Users are playing Russian roulette when they abuse them.”