Closing of Three Little Pigs welcomes new Penn’s

Food, family, and fun are the cornerstone for many American families, so it comes as no surprise that the family behind Starkville’s new restaurant, are all about those American values too. 
Michael Penn, owner of the new Penn’s Restaurant opening in Starkville around mid-September, is excited to be carrying on family tradition. 
“My father started the first Penn’s catfish house over 50 years ago. He got out of the logging business and opened in Canton, Ms in 1967,” Penn said.
Penn’s father, Roger Penn, isn’t the only family member involved in the restaurant business.
“I have two older sisters that were involved, and an identical twin brother who is still in the business,” Penn said.
The taste of Penn’s is no stranger to the Mississippi State community.
Penn recalls MSU sporting events being the catalyst for good business. 
“About 25-27 years ago we were invited to Starkville for baseball and football games. That’s how we got our name out there,” Penn said. 
The menu promises a tailgate-friendly collection of diverse entrees and appetizers.
“Catfish and chicken is our biggest thing, but we have tenders, fries, some seafood and our famous fried dill pickles,” Penn said. 
The Penns anticipate the support of Starkville and seek to satisfy hungry taste buds.
“We have a special sauce called the comeback sauce and a chicken on a stick not like any other. It’s special,” Penn said. 
Penn’s restaurant will provide quality employment for some Starkville residents. 
“We want to hire real good people to work there. We look to hire cooks, front servers and staff people,” Penn said.
Penn’s location is ideal for those commuting from campus in search of a good meal.
“We will be located on Hwy 12., not very far from the college students,” Penn said. 
The atmosphere of Penn’s is promising for those in search of something strictly for family. 
“Our business is 100 percent family-oriented, and it’s meant to take care of students as well. Penn’s is not a bar place,” Penn said. 
The pressure is definitely on with the grand opening of the restaurant not being far away.
“We have a big state fair around the same time as the grand opening. The state fair is something really big for us, but we couldn’t let the opportunity to open up in Starkville pass,” Penn said. Alongside Penn is his wife Myra Penn, who said she  is happy to be able to support her husband at this time. 
“I support my husband. Opening up a restaurant is very fast paced, and I help as much as I can,” Penn said. 
As a wife of a restaurant owner, Myra explains her role in the madness.
“I’m just the gopher,” she said jokingly. 
Myra also serves as a nurse, but said she looks forward to being as involved as possible. 
Penn, who has children enrolled at Mississippi State University, looks forward to embracing Starkville.
“Starkville is a great place, Penn said. We’ve always known it.”