Student athletes understand implications of social media use

Anthony Brown, a senior former running back for the Univerity of Southern California, took to social media Thursday to explain why he will not play for Head Coach Steve Sarkisian. 
Brown posted a message on Instagram that said, “Sark treated me like a slave in his Office…Can’t play for a racist MAN!!!!! #Fighton”
Scandals surrounding athletes and their use of social media are no new development in our society, but Mississippi State University athletes say they strive to live responsibly in the cyber world.
Junior defensive back Taveze Calhoun said he believes social media can be positive.
“It depends on how you use it. You only put out there what you want out there,” Calhoun said.
The red-shirt junior has several different social media accounts.
“I have pretty much every form of social media, but Instagram is my favorite,” Calhoun said.
Due to scandals surrounding social media usage, people sometimes to forget it can have a positive purpose.
“On Facebook you can share statuses and funny videos. I like to watch videos because they are entertaining,” Calhoun said.
With a bright spotlight shining on student athletes, Calhoun said he is aware he’s not just an “average” college student.
“I have to watch what I post. I can’t post what I want because of my rank and because I’m an athlete under scrutiny,” Calhoun said.
Redshirt freshman Gabe Myles may be a newer addition to the field, but he said he understands the concept of being conservative on social media.
“I try and keep myself positive, and I don’t tweet about anything happening in my private life,” Myles said.
Myles said he feels that student athletes should be held responsible for their posts.
“I make sure my tweets don’t hurt my family or show a bad image of me,” Myles said. “People do look up to athletes. You don’t tweet for yourself, you tweet for others.”
Senior defensive lineman Curtis Virges said social media is more functional than fun.
“I use it to keep up with current events since I don’t watch TV,” Virges said.
While many athletes get pulled into trouble with their use of social media, Virges, who uses Instagram and Facebook, said he is not afraid of any social media drama and recognized these platforms will remain constant.
“People get themselves in trouble. Social media is going to be there, and it’s not going anywhere anytime soon,” Virges said.
The veteran lineman advises MSU students to refrain from posting too much information to avoid controversy.
“Use it. You can have fun and be a normal college student,” Virges said. “Everything you feel just shouldn’t have to be put out there.”