Students play like professionals through intramural sports

We all look forward to the opportunity to spread our wings and show our talents to the world, but intramural sports at Mississippi State University give students a more realistic platform.
Jonathan Adams, who has served as the intramural sports coordinator for the past two years, welcomes the average student to the program. 
“Intramural sports are geared toward the average student. We don’t allow any varsity players or past professional players,” he said. 
Adams said the process for participating in any intramural sport is quite simple and can be completed in just four steps.
“Students have to put a team together, come to the office to register, visit www.imleagues.com, and there, they can create a team,” Adams said.
Along with health benefits, Adams said intramural teams are created by students in order to make playing the sport more enjoyable. 
“Intramurals are a great way for students to stay involved in sports, but with their friends as well. Students pick their own teams,” he said. 
Adams said students compete during a four -week season before entering a tournament of single eliminations.
Games are scheduled at night so students are able to work by day with course work.
“Our teams are comprised of students, so our games are held at night from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.,” Adams said.
Katie Henderson, a sophomore majoring in kinesiology, said she immersed herself in intramural sports and has not looked back.
“I love to play. I play ultimate frisbee, basketball, kickball and volleyball,” she said.
Henderson also mentioned organizations on MSU’s campus, like the Baptist Student Union, participate in several intramural sports.
“I’m a part of the BSU here on campus, and we make teams together,” Henderson said. 
Micah Little, Starkville native and MSU senior majoring in mechanical engineering, serves as the intramural sports supervisor.
“I officiated for basketball my freshman year and became supervisor my sophomore year,” Little said.
Little encouraged students to apply only if sports interest them.
“If you don’t enjoy sports, it’s just too much time spent to join. If you do like sports it will help you relieve stress during the school semester,” Little said.
Little also said students, just like professional athletes, look forward to the joy of winning.
“That’s why people play. They want to win, and that’s a rewarding feeling,” Little said.
Little and his team have been crowned champs in the ultimate frisbee competition. He said he looks forward to the games this semester.
Aside from competing to win, Adams said students can gain great team building expierences from participating in intramural sports. 
“We are always trying to think of new ways to bring in new participants,” Adams said. “Intramurals help students live a healthy and active lifestyle.”