Robinson among SEC rushing leaders

Josh+Robinson
Emma Katherine Hutto
Josh Robinson

Following its SEC-win over LSU, much hype has surrounded the Mississippi State football team and potential Heisman Trophy candidate Dak Prescott. However, MSU junior running back Josh Robinson is quietly making a name for himself as one of the best running backs in the nation. The Bulldogs are currently third in the SEC in average rushing yards per game, and Robinson is the straw that stirs the drink when it comes to the Bulldog running game. 
Robinson spent the majority of the 2013 season as the backup running back to then-senior Ladarius Perkins. Last season, Robinson was the third-leading rusher on the team behind Perkins and Prescott. Robinson had a breakout game in November against the Arkansas Razorbacks. Robinson rushed for 101 yards, which all came in the second half. With the start of the 2014 season, Robinson was ready to take over as the top running back for the Bulldogs.
While Robinson split carries with Perkins in 2013, they were two very different types of runners. Perkins was listed as 5’10” and 195 pounds. Perkins is remembered as a very versatile player. He caught many passes out of the backfield and used his speed to run around defenders. Robinson is just the opposite. Robinson is listed as 5’9” and 215 pounds. He has been described as a powerful running back due to his leg strength, upper body mass and ability to run over defenders.
In the Bulldogs season opening 49-0 win over Southern Mississippi, Robinson carried the ball 14 times for 87 yards. Due to the blowout, Robinson split carries with three other running backs. Robinson would have a better chance to display his talents in the following game against the University of Alabama at Birmingham. The junior back ran the ball 20 times in the game for a career-best 124 yards and a touchdown. Due to the lopsided victory, Robinson’s workload would be reduced in the following game against South Alabama. Robinson rushed for 77 yards and two touchdowns on just 12 carries.
Robinson ran the ball well against these non-conference opponents, but his first real test would come in the form of the LSU Tiger defense. LSU’s defense allowed only 16 rushing yards against Louisiana Monroe the previous week and had shutout its opponents for nine straight quarters and 33 straight possessions. However, Robinson and the Bulldog offense proved they were ready to accept the challenge in front of a record over 102,000 fans in Tiger Stadium. 
On only 16 carries, Robinson rushed for a sensational 197 rushing yards against the stingy LSU defense, the most yards from a running back on the road since Darren McFadden at Arkansas. The   Louisiana native averaged 12.3 yards per carry in his home state. Robinson’s longest carry of the game came with 11:33 remaining in the second quarter. On the first play of the Bulldog drive, Robinson completely switched field position for the Bulldogs. Robinson broke free for a 66-yard rush, which took the ball from the Bulldog 17-yard line to the Tiger 17-yard line in one play. Bulldog Head Coach Dan Mullen said the rushing attack helped control the line of scrimmage.
“We said the big key coming into this game is controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball,” Mullen said. “We ran for 302 yards, they ran for 89, so I think we did control the line of scrimmage.”
By accounting for 197 of the team’s rushing yards, Robinson shattered his previous career best of 124 rushing yards. Robinson expressed his happiness on getting the win in his home state after the game.
“I’ve been dreaming about this since I was 10,” Robinson said.
Following his performance against LSU, Robinson is now second in the SEC in rushing yards, with 485 yards despite splitting carries with some of the other backs on the team. Robinson also has touches taken away from duel-threat quarterback Prescott. Robinson averages 7.8 yards per carry, which is first in the SEC among running backs with over 50 carries. Robinson is a big part of the success for MSU football in 2014. If Robinson continues to put up these kinds of rushing numbers, expect the Bulldogs to keep winning football games. MSU will take the field  Oct. 4 against the  Texas A&M Aggies. The Aggies allow an average of 125 yards per game.