Holmes Cultural Diversity Center’s annual Salsa in the Streets celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month

Tons of people shudder at the thought of dancing because of their lack of expertise in the field of rythmic movement. However, delicious food, lively music and salsa dancing bring students together as instructors give dance lessons.

Mississippi State University will host its annual “Salsa in the Streets” event Thurday, Oct. 11.

Salsa in the Streets is an annual event organized by the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center and hosted by MSU ballroom dance club every year. It is held outside the Union on the street outside the ROTC building. Instructors teach everyone a short salsa lesson followed by an open dance with bachata, salsa and merengue music. Salsa in the Streets is a celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month through various forms of salsa dancing, food  and fun. 

Timothy Fair, program coordinator for the Richard Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, said he truly enjoys the event and looks forward to seeing everyone come out and have fun. He said he  is pleased with the decision made to start hosting something wonderful.

“We thought to do Salsa in the Streets as a way to expose our students to a taste of the Hispanic culture. Part of the university’s mission is to prepare students for global citizenship. The staff in the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center is committed to exposing our students to various cultures and expanding their knowledge on the diversity present throughout the world,” he said.

Nandita Gupta, vice president and instructor of the MSU ballroom dance club, said she enjoys the event because she is able to incorporate her love for dancing with her love for diversity. Gupta is from Pune, India, and serves on the International Student Advisory Board. She said she enjoys everything about the event.

“Personally, for me, Salsa in the Streets has a very special place in my heart. My dancing journey at MSU began with this event. I met all my best friends and ballroom family in Fall 2011 with this event. One of the best things about this event is that you get to meet new people and learn dancing. This event is absolutely free, and you don’t need a partner to attend and dance. It’s a great opportunity to meet new people and relax and unwind with friends,” she said.

Simone Jones, sophomore kinesiology major, attended the event last year and made friends that she said she feels will be with her through the rest of her college years.

“I made two life long friends there. Even though I just met them, it feels like I have known them forever. When I need encouragement they are there for me, and I thank them for that. I plan on attending the event again this year and hopefully meeting more great people. I also encourage my classmates to attend,” she said.

If you are looking to learn more about culture and diversity while having a good time, this is definitely the event for you.

For more information about Salsa in the Streets, contact Timothy Fair at [email protected] or Nandita Gupta at [email protected]