Japan outreach program shares culture through movie series

On  Sept. 12, from 5 to 7 p.m., the Japan Outreach Program at Mississippi State University will host the second installment in its movie series at the Bost Extension Center. 
The third and final installment in the movie series, “Always: Sunset on Third Street 3,” will take place Sept. 26 at 5 p.m. at the Bost Extension Center.
Upon the showing of the movie, “Brave Story,” a popular Japanese anime film, free popcorn, cotton candy and drinks will be provided.
Juyoung Lee, assistant professor of fashion design and merchandising and founder of the Japan Outreach Program, said she created the program to educate Mississippians about the small but growing Japanese community in the state.
“We have started having Japanese companies in our community, such as Yokohama, Nissan and Toyota,” she said. “I thought it would be good if MSU, as a land-grant institution, could show different aspects of Japanese culture to Mississippi.”
Lee said although the movie series is still underway, the Japan Outreach Program already prepares for its next event.
“The (movie series) is the inaugural event for our program,” Lee said. “We are already planning for another event, a Japanese photo exhibition.”
Chieko Iwata, Japan Outreach Coordinator for the Japan Foundation at MSU, said she hopes MSU students enjoy comparing Japanese and American culture.
“I hope they see the similar points and different points,” Iwata said. “I think there really is a similarity in that you value family and time with people here.”
Iwata said she was pleased to see several international students volunteering at the first movie.
“Not only (American students), but international students from MSU attended and helped as volunteers, which encouraged me,” she said.
Iwata also said she believed the first movie showing was successful in introducing many American students to Japanese popular culture.
“I thought it was a very good start,” she said. “Many people said that this was the first time they had seen a Japanese movie, which made us very happy.”
Lee said she hopes the Japan Outreach Program will give many students a chance to learn about other cultures and languages.
“I hope this program can be an outlet for students interested in foreign culture,” she said.
In a telephone interview, Mieko Kikuchi, Japanese liaison at Renasant Bank in Tupelo, Mississippi, and member of the Japan-America Society of Mississippi, said she supports the Japan Outreach Program and believes learning about Japanese culture should be exciting for MSU students.
“I think that it will be a great benefit for the community to learn Japanese culture,” she said. “Our customs are very different, so it should be very interesting.”
Kikuchi said despite some differences, she sees many overlapping characteristics between Japanese and American culture, especially in the South.
“There are many differences, but I hope we find a lot of similarities,” Kikuchi said. “We may speak different languages, but we are similar to Mississippians. Family is very important, and we work as a community, as a team.”
Kikuchi added she has enjoyed embracing Southern cuisine and colloquialisms.
“I try to be a Southern belle; I say ‘fixin’ to’ and ‘y’all,’” she said. “I like catfish, crawfish and pork chops, and one of my friends here taught me how to make cornbread.”
Kikuchi said she has high hopes for the Japan Outreach Program at MSU.
“Since MSU now has the Japan Outreach Program, I think it will be a great bridge-builder,” she said. “I would love for the Japanese community in Mississippi to grow.