Board of Aldermen stalls capital improvement projects

On Aug. 26th the City of Starkville’s board of aldermen stalled the process of recognizing various capital improvement projects in the city of Starkville. The aldermen couldn’t come to a decision to put forward future works with financial adviser Demery Grubbs at present.
Ward 5 Alderman Scott Maynard said the board approved a three-year plan of capital improvement projects in the month of May. 
“At this time there is not a feeling that we need a study to determine a list of projects.  We need to determine how we can most effectively complete the projects we have listed,” Maynard said. “One option is to work with Mr. Grubbs to issue bonds and receive a large infusion of cash up front to complete the projects.  The other option is to continue to appropriate resources to complete the projects as we can afford them.”
Former Ward 2 Alderman Sandra Sistrunk said the development of a capital projects list can be helpful even when funds aren’t immediately available.
“Speculating about why this Board didn’t choose to go through that process? Two likely reasons are that they may choose to come back to it at a later date or they have other projects in the pipe that makes funding capital projects a low priority,” Sistrunk said.
Starkville’s former chief administrative officer Lynn Spruill said they worked with Mr. Grubbs during the previous term in precisely the same process.
“I believe that the process has some value particularly with a new board as they set new priorities for their mandate as they understand it.
I would not have characterized the capital projects as stalled quite yet. I think that the board is considering the process before they act. They may believe that they have more than enough to work on without further prioritization, but a deliberative time to make that determination doesn’t seem to be a negative decision on their part,” Spruill said.
Several future plans in the city’s agenda may include, but are not limited to, new or renovated facility for the Starkville Police Department, annexation and updating the city’s comprehensive plan.
Sistrunk said funding all of this becomes a juggling act based solely on organic growth, that is the increase in ad valorem taxes as new properties roll onto the tax rolls and increase in sales taxes.
“The most likely other option for funding is a tax increase, which becomes less likely later in the board’s term.  So, my guess is the capital planning project is a victim of last year’s budget and the board’s other plans,” she said.
The Starkville Board of Aldermen’s next meeting is scheduled for Sept. 16.