Grenada Afterglow Film Festival presents film, art, music, food

Midterms have begun, late-night study sessions are on the rise and students are at that point in the semester where they are ready for classes to end. Saturday, students can take a break from mid-semester madness and take a road trip to Grenada, Mississippi where the Afterglow Film Festival will feature seven hours of independent film.

The festival will commence at 1 p.m., and music, film, art and food can be enjoyed until midnight. The Afterglow Film Festival will present a number of musical acts. From internationally known singer Dent May to Grenada local May Queen, the festival will have a variety of musical acts for the audience to enjoy.

An array of artwork from artists all over Mississippi will also be exhibited at the festival. The festival will also display scarves made by Cambodian women as well as jewelry made in Memphis, Tennessee ,which was crafted by Circe Zugno, originally from Amazonas.

The films featured during the festival come from submissions from local residents. The festival is family-friendly, and the films will reflect the festival’s atmosphere. According to the event’s website, “the spotlight category is ‘Feel-Good’ films” and they “want viewers to be moved to feel the ‘Afterglow’ of the festival and the small town atmosphere in Grenada.”

Along with all the music, art and film fun, there will be a number of Mississippi food trucks for attendees to enjoy. The festival will also host an awards ceremony for the films and an after party for added celebration.

Frank Bradford, political science graduate student and Grenada native, said the festival is not one to miss.

“I believe the festival is a great thing for the city and to bring people together to enjoy a variety of films and have a good time,” he said.

As the definition listed on the film festival’s website suggests, attendees of the festival in historic downtown Grenada will be sure to experience the “pleasant feeling that lingers after a positive experience” – an afterglow.