Punny costume ideas save time and money

Halloween is a day associated with ghosts, goblins and other terrifying creatures. However, what is even more terrifying is realizing that day is upon you and you still do not have a costume.

With the stress of the week, it is easy for this day to sneak up on students. However, all hope is not lost, and students still have time to create a DIY costume with items already located in their closets.

First, there are several simple costumes students can pull together at the last second. It is easy to be an “identity thief” by taking nametags with different names written on them and sticking them all over any T-shirt.

Students can also embody the phrase “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” All one needs is a white T-shirt with the word life written across it in Sharpie and a basket of lemons to carry around throughout the night.

These costumes work well for those with a sense of humor. Another simple Halloween costume is any superhero. Just take any superhero T-shirt and pair it with an optional cape or mask.

Jake Slinkard, senior kinesiology major, said he looks forward to Halloween night and showcasing his costume with friends.

“My friend and I plan on being Barnacle Boy and Mermaid Man for Halloween,” he said.

Finally, for the ultimate last minute look, a student can simply write ‘Book’ across their face. They are now “Facebook.” This look can be paired with business casual attire and is perfect for those who prefer not to wear actual costumes.

Students can also assemble costumes just minutes before heading out to a Halloween party. One of the most effortless looks is to take a white T-shirt and write “404 Error Costume Cannot Be Found” across it. This is best paired with a black skirt or pants and any Halloween-inspired accessories.

Another suggestion is to be a scarecrow. This look requires a plaid shirt, jeans and a straw hat. All that is needed after these main clothing items is black eyeliner. Students can draw stitches coming from both sides of their mouth as well as around their nose in order to further develop the scarecrow look.

A humorous idea for students is to be a “candy rapper.” Simply tape some candy wrappers to a hoodie and add some shades and a chain necklace.

Jordan Welch, sophomore aerospace engineer major, said the “candy rapper” costume is simple and hilarious.

“I appreciate a sense of humor in costumes and would enjoy being something like this,” she said.

Lastly, women can easily be Sally from the movie Greece. All one needs is a black shirt (preferably off the shoulder), black pants or leggings and red heels. If it is chilly outside, a black jacket should be added. Finalize the look with curled hair and a red lip.

Couples often find themselves scrambling for a look just before Halloween night. They usually want to be creative without dishing out too much money on a costume.

One financially feasible look is to be “point A” and “point B” from Google Maps. Just take two pieces of cardboard, cut them into pin-like shapes and label each with an A or a B. This look can be enhanced by taping street names onto a gray shirt to represent the road.

Another creative look is to be lightning and an electrified person. Simply cut out a lightning bolt from cardboard and hang it around one person’s neck. The other person should tease their hair to make it look frayed and wear a shirt with holes burnt through it or cut out of it. This costume takes minimal time to achieve but will surely catch everyone’s attention.

A third costume for couples is to be “peace and quiet.” One person should embody peace by wearing a tie-dye shirt, round sunglasses and flower accessories. The other can be “quiet” by dressing up as a mime. Just take a black and white striped shirt, black pants, black suspenders and add a matching hat and gloves. Add white face paint and dark eye makeup if time permits.

Peter Nguyen, senior biochemistry major, said convenience is vital when choosing a costume for Halloween.

“I like making costumes out of things I already own, and these would be perfect for the occasion,” he said.

These costumes are simple, affordable and can be put together given a very short time limit. They are perfect for those that procrastinated on finding a costume or simply forgot about the holiday altogether.

Whether one is going solo or with a date this Halloween, the options are endless when it comes to costumes.