Positive thinking shows potential to improve life

Netflix has proved itself to be a handy tool within the last few years; one can access every genre in the movie or television industry. Most people tend to ignore the documentary and inspirational genres. There is, however, a documentary posted right now that discusses a concept that applies to everyone. Its producers titled it “The Secret,” which doesn’t reveal much. But if you take the time to watch it, you won’t be disappointed. The topic of the documentary is the law of attraction. 

There are several laws of attraction, so it is important to understand this concept in its purest form centers on a philosophical standpoint. In theory, the law of attraction is the belief you are what you do or do not want to be, or it is the belief the things one most frequently thinks about are brought about by the universe or some higher being whether the thought is good or bad. In short, positive thinking brings positive outcomes while negative thinking brings negative outcomes. For college students, positive thought is essential for a good life. It is easy to miss what is good in life if no one stops to think about it. In some cases, changes in thought patterns could make all the difference. According to “The Secret,” it may even make the world work in your favor. 

“The Secret” was produced in 2006 by Prime Time Productions and had many psychologists and philosophers discussing ways in which a person who has the tendency to think negatively can shift toward positive thinking that works in his or her favor. It has attracted the attention of media figures such as Oprah Winfrey and Larry King, who both happen to be very successful in their careers. While there is lack of scientific evidence for this philosophical concept, there are many cases in life where apparent miracles were the result of positivity. In short, positive thinking definitely doesn’t hurt. If nothing else, it offers everyone a chance at a healthier lifestyle and better outlook on everyday events. 

Fred Alan Wolf, a quantum physicist, said “every ‘I can’t’ is a creation.” Later in “The Secret,” the theory goes that this concept was concealed for years and only a few of the world’s most successful and wealthy people knew it. This context makes sense of Henry Ford’s enigmatic statement, “Whether you can or you can’t, either way is right.” Morris E. Goodman, also known as “The Miracle Man,” reveals the story of how he came to walk out of the hospital after his plane crash, even though doctors said he would never be able to move anything more than his eyeballs. “It didn’t matter what they thought,” he said. “It just mattered what I thought. I couldn’t let anyone distract me from my goal.”

Making use of positive thinking may seem like a lot of work at first, but it’s not. Jessica Swindle, now a student of Mississippi State University, continues to represent her former college as Miss Alabama University 2013-14. According to Jessica, the secret applies to the pageant stage. 

“It is all about confidence,” Jessica said. “When you step on that stage, you have to believe you have talent, that you can speak, model or walk well. If you have confidence, the judges remember it. If you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will believe either. People can see through an act.” 

It turns out Jessica’s biggest triumph on the stage came about by use of this very principle. In 2010, Jessica became the first African-American to win the title of Chilton County Miss Peach. The title came with much responsibility, as Jessica was expected to represent the peach industry that makes over 80 percent of Alabama’s peaches at the age of 15. Her responsibilities were many, including billboard pictures and interviews, but she loved every minute of it. 

She didn’t know it then, but she now knows her confidence was built by belief in the law of attraction. 

“It was my dream to be Miss Peach, but to believe I could win I had to set my own reality instead of going by the world’s negative reality,” she said. “I started by saying that this wasn’t too big for me. Every time I looked in the mirror, I said ‘I am 2010 Miss Peach.’ I thought about what my reaction would be when I won. Then I spoke it into existence. I visualized. But to win was inexplicable.” 

Jessica still looks to win the title of Miss Alabama 2014-15 when she competes this year. She says she still plans to use the law of attraction to her advantage on the stage. 

Even though there is a dearth of scientific evidence to support “The Secret,” positive thinking is rarely harmful. To start with a small goal of one positive thought is a good way to start. It couldn’t hurt to give it a try. Whether you find the law of attraction to reflect reality or not is up to you. You might find things have always gone your way, but it was just your worrying so much about how things would turn out that kept you from seeing the real positive outcomes. However you think, a positive mindset is always the best way to go.