MSU welcomes OkSOBERFest to raise alcohol awareness

MSU’s Health Education and Wellness department will be sponsoring its second-annual OkSOBERfest today from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Drill Field in partnership with the Student Association. 

This carnival-style event gives students the opportunity to play games, win prizes, eat popcorn and increase their knowledge about how to prevent alcohol-related tragedies.

Ty Stewart, a graduate assistant and coordinator of the event, said he looks forward to the chance to give the student body and faculty some important information on alcohol consumption. 

“This event is an alcohol education event to bring awareness to the dangers of over-consumption of alcohol and to give practical tips for healthy alcohol consumption for those of age that choose to drink. We will have some simple alcohol–related games that involve the drunken goggles and measuring out standard drinks with alcohol facts at each station,” he said.

Stewart said the event has been organized to raise awareness about the harmful effects of alcohol.

“Those who participate in games will receive tickets in which they can cash in for give-aways and popcorn. Our goal is to give interactive, practical and educational information that better equips our students with the knowledge to make wise choices in the area of alcohol consumption,” he said.

Joyce Yates, the director of Health Education and Wellness for University Health Services, said she aims to send a positive message to students. With this event, she hopes students will be more cautious and aware of the consequences that can come from drinking alcohol.

“Health Education and Wellness wants to remind students that the best fun is safe fun. Don’t take risks. Your future is important, make sure you make wise alcohol decisions to not drink if you are under the legal age, and if you do drink, drink wisely and always have a designated driver,” she said.

Juleigh Baker, campus health and wellness educator, said events such as OkSOBERfest allow students to learn some safe drinking tips in a fun way.

“Health Education and Wellness hosts several events throughout the year dedicated to educating students on safe alcohol consumption,” she said. “According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, close to 600,000 college students suffer from unintentional injuries while under the influence of alcohol.  We want MSU students that are of the legal drinking age that choose to drink alcohol to do so safely and wisely.”

OkSOBERfest is held in conjunction with the Bacchus Network’s National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week, which takes places Oct. 20-24.