‘Fury’ provides action, adventure

“Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.”

This rather true statement belongs to Sgt. Don Collier, Brad Pitt’s character in his most recent film, “Fury.”

The movie tells the story of a World War II tank crew traveling through Germany during the last month of the European war. As the team moves through enemy territory, there is danger almost at every turn.

Pitt’s character, also known as “War-daddy,” is the prime example of the traditional phrase: “a man has got to do what a man has got to do.” He does everything that he must in order to defeat the enemy and keep his men alive.

Writer and director David Ayer, who also wrote and directed “End of Watch,” has apparently been researching and working on the story of “Fury” for years.

His hard work is evident in the film, as the attention to detail is brilliant. He even managed to round up five authentic M4 Sherman tanks as well as a German Tiger, a more advanced tank than those of the Americans, to use in the production.

When watching the battle scenes, it truly is as if one has traveled back in time and witnessed the reality of this war period. Ayer does not hold anything back; he focuses on the gory and extreme violence the men savagely inflict on one another and how they absorb the pain.

He allows viewers to get on a very personal level with the characters and to see how this war experience effects them both physically and mentally.

As the film centers around the realistic violence of the era, or as Shia Labeouf’s character states: “Wait until you see what a man can do to another man,” it also expresses the idea that individuals adapt to their surroundings, no matter what they may be.

After fighting for years, the men come to believe in one particular motto: kill or be killed.  This is something Pitt’s character must teach the young boy who has been commanded to join his crew.

Overall critics have received the film with much applause. The Los Angeles Times stated, “If memorable war movies mean something to you, open that book to a new page and add ‘Fury’ to that list; it belongs there.” “Rolling Stone” added, “Ayer captures the buried feelings of men in combat with piercing immediacy; Pitt is tremendous in the role, a conscience detectable even in War-daddy’s blinkered gaze.” 

This film is highly recommended, and we will most likely be seeing it receive some well-deserved rewards in the future for all of its success.