Mental Illness Awareness week at MSU: Drill field showcases ‘Messages of Hope’ display

The stigma attached to discussion about mental illness is undeniable, yet Mississippi State University is attempting  to         eliminate the          common misconceptions associated with the subject.  To help those who struggle with mental illnesses, the Health Education and Wellness Center and Student Counseling Services sponsored the Messages of Hope display in support of Mental Illness Awareness week.

According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the first full week of October has been dedicated to mental illness awareness since 1990. During this week, communities are encouraged to educate the public on mental illness.

The Messages of Hope display consists of signs, inspirational quotes and an illustration of famous persons who struggle with mental illnesses. The goal of the display is to remove the stigma that exists regarding mental illness.

Kim Kavalsky, coordinator of mental health outreach, said she hopes the display serves as an inspiration to students, and lets them know they are not alone in the struggle with mental illnesses.

“In our culture, I think celebrities have the power to influence others,” Kavalsky said. “I hope students will see the display and realize that they are not the only ones who are struggling and help is available.”

Students on campus are very receptive to the efforts made by the Health Education and Wellness Center and Student Counseling Services.

Keeon Bell, senior interdisciplinary studies major, said he believes continuous encouragement is important for those who struggle with mental illness to not let their circumstances define who they are or what they are capable of.

“I remember being told at camp an illness does not limit what you can do. Only you can make that choice,” Bell said.

Clinicians from Student Support Services will be providing mental health screenings on campus Wednesday and Thursday. Screenings will be free and confidential at Student Counseling Services located inside Hathorn Hall.

The Messages of Hope display will be on the Drill Field until 5 p.m. Thursday.

The display is not only meant to inspire those with mental illness to look beyond their circumstances and believe in their abilities, but also to educate those that do not struggle with mental illness. It will encourage them to not stereotype those that do and motivate those who need help to make the decision to seek assistance.