No-Shave November raises awareness

For many years, men and women have been growing their hair out during the month of November in support of prostate and testicular cancer. Well, it is that time once again. No-Shave November is a web-based, nonprofit organization dedicated to raising cancer awareness and supportive funds that go toward preventing disease, saving lives, funding research, educating and aiding those fighting in the battle against cancer.

Students on the Mississippi State University campus also show their support for cancer awareness by not shaving.

John James, senior kinesiology major, said he celebrates No-Shave November to help spread awareness for prostate and testicular cancer and to educate others because he feels these diseases that affect men are often overlooked.

“Coming after largely celebrated breast cancer awareness month, No-Shave November does not get a lot of attention, so I want to do my part and help raise awareness by not shaving,” he said.

According to the No-Shave November website, letting it all grow out attracts a lot of attention.

“It is our goal to raise awareness, and turning heads is the best way to do so,” the website staes.

No-Shave November partners with the American Cancer Society to raise funds. Anyone can support the cause by purchasing No-Shave November apparel. All of the proceeds go to the American Cancer Society.

Other websites like noshember.com have developed their own no-shave rules calendar. This calendar lays out the rules of No-Shave November and the comical stages of hair growth such as the week of itching and the week of looking ridiculous.

Back on campus, there are students whose lives have been directly affected by prostate cancer, such as Brooke Ratliff, senior interior design major, who said she has a particular appreciation for everyone participating in No-Shave November.

“My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and luckily, he caught it early and doctors were able to remove it before it spread to other parts of his body,” Ratliff said. “Even though beards are nice to see during fall, because of my personal experience with the matter, I feel that it is very important to raise awareness, educate others and encourage men to take their health seriously.”

Also encouraging men to refrain from shaving is the Movember Foundation. The Movember Foundation is the leading global organization devoted to men’s health.

“We challenge men to grow moustaches during Movember to spark conversation and raise funds for prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health problems,” states the official Movember Foundation website.

November seems to be the best time of the year to draw attention to oneself by letting hair grow out. By giving everyone something to talk about, students can indirectly raise awareness for men’s health issues that may not otherwise get the attention of the nation.