Starkville presents city-wide tailgate in honor of homecoming

Homecoming weekend has finally begun in Starkville, Mississippi. Students are pulling out their maroon and white, and alumni are dusting off their cowbells for this weekend’s game against Tennessee Martin. In honor of the homecoming excitement, the city will begin tailgating festivities a day early this weekend. 

Starkville will host its annual City-wide Tailgate today. The theme for this year’s event is “In Maroon We Trust.” This reflects school pride and faith in the outstanding Bulldogs.  The Starkville Daily News will sponsor the event.

This year there are approximately nine teams competing in the tailgate. Each team will sell wristbands for five dollars to raise money to go toward United Way. 

This is the second year the event has worked with United Way. This year is a little different because in the past the Greater Starkville Development Partnership did not collect money upon entrance. However,  this one time fee grants people access to all of the storefronts partaking in the competition.

Kyle Moak, professional golf management major, said tailgating can be expensive, and the city-wide tailgate is a good alternative.

“Five dollars is a very reasonable price when you think about how much a regular tailgate costs in the end,” junior turf management major he said. 

Most of the stores competing are located in downtown Starkville; Campus Book Mart will compete closer to campus on Lee Blvd. 

Nikki Rives, event volunteer, said the tailgates are judged on four categories including theme, tailgate food, team spirit and appearance. 

“We just want people to come out and enjoy while mingling and catching up with friends,” she said.

The event is a great way to get out and experience the city of Starkville before cheering for the Bulldogs Saturday night.

Sophomore marketing major Addison Harris mentioned she had not heard of this event before but that it sounded like a great place for families and college students to connect.