MSU fashion class puts on cotton fashion show

Mississippi State University’s department of apparel, textile and merchandising students will          put on the “Discovery: Conservation” fashion show, sponsored by Cotton Incorporated, on Dec. 2 at 6 p.m. in the Colvard Student Union Ballroom.

Professor Charles Freeman’s merchandise and promotional strategies class has divided itself into various committees in order to stage the production. From a stage and venue committee to a model committee that teamed up with MSU’s Fashion Board in order to get models, the fashion show has an extensive team working on its production.

Freeman’s class is part of the National Retail Federation Student Association, and as a part of their marketing and promotional sector, students went to Starkville High School and spoke with local high school students about MSU’s apparel, textile and merchandising major as well as the innovative nature associated with the field of fashion.

The entire MSU student body was targeted for designs for this show as well as merchandising boards that display trends, and the money supplied by Cotton Incorporated was very helpful in the construction of the event. The best designs will also be awarded Cotton Incorporated Scholarships on behalf of the corporation.

Briana Gillespie, sophomore apparel, textile and merchandising major and a member of the marketing and promotional committee for the fashion show, said students worked with great dedication in order to make this event possible, and she hopes the turnout for the show reflects that.

“This is really student-driven, and we rely on these grants (Cotton Incorporated) and students supporting us,” she said. “For us to have the opportunity to do this for our peers is really important, and I’d like for them to support us by coming out to the show.”

Local vendors such as Envy,      Libby Story, Reeds, Local Culture and many more will supply ads for the fashion show, and they will be able to set up promotional booths at the show to promote their clothing.

Gillespie said the designs displayed during the show are very trendy and earthy.

Hannah Reynolds, also a senior apparel, textile and merchandising major and a member of the budget committee, said Freeman’s class has worked tirelessly on planning the event.

“Everyone in our class has been very involved with the planning and organizing of the Cotton Incorporated fashion show. Our fashion design and merchandising students have the opportunity to showcase their design and merchandising talents,” she said. “We hope everyone will come support our program and see the links between fashion and agriculture.”

The “Discovery: Conservation” fashion show will feature original designs from MSU students and reinforce the fact that cotton can be fashionable and is not something confined to linens and tablecloths.