Low temperatures call for freeze warning in Mississippi

Most of the state of Mississippi will be covered with sub-freezing temperatures on Friday and Saturday. This includes Mississippi State University and surrounding areas. The National Weather Service in Jackson issued a freeze warning which began on Thursday night and will continue until 8 a.m. today, but significant low temperatures are expected to continue into Saturday morning.
Freeze warning means sub-freezing temperatures are imminent and these conditions will kill crops and other sensitive vegetation.
Mike Brown, state climatologist and professor at MSU, said a freeze warning just means that temperatures below freezing are expected over a widespread area.
“Overnight low temperatures with this airmass will likely dip into the mid-20s for both Thursday and Friday night,” he said.
The freeze warning issued by the NWS Jackson on Thursdsay said, “The coldest temperatures so far this season will overspread the region tonight into Friday morning. Over six hours of sub-freezing temperatures are expected which will bring an end to the growing season.”
Lower average temperatures for the next two days in Starkville and surrounding areas will be from 21-25 degrees Fahrenheit. 
Google recommended a list of things to do before winter approaches on its new current events website.
According to the web page, “Before winter approaches, add the following supplies to your emergency kit: Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways,” and when operating under warning, “Keep dry. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent a loss of body heat.”
“Wet clothing loses all of its insulating value and transmits heat rapidly. Watch for signs of frostbite. These include loss of feeling and white or pale appearance in extremities such as fingers, toes, ear lobes, and the tip of the nose. If symptoms are detected, get medical help immediately,” NWS reported.
Hannah Strong, meteorology major at MSU urged people who will be affected by the low temperatures to take care of their plants.
“Bring pets inside overnight and leave pipes dripping. It’s also a good idea to wrap outer pipes in cloth to keep them warmer. The weather is unseasonably cold. Last year at this time our highs were in the 70s and today and tomorrow our highs will be in the 40s. Expect it to stay cold for a while,” Strong said.
MSU football which is ranked No. 1 in the AP poll is scheduled to play the University of Alabama on Saturday. The game is set to begin at 2:30 p.m. from Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa. According to weather experts, the temperatures will remain on the cooler side in Tuscaloosa as well. 
Brown said the game will remain rain-free.
“For Saturday’s game in Tuscaloosa, you can expect temperatures at kick-off in the upper 40s or low 50s, although it should feel warmer in the sunshine. As the game ends temperatures will drop into the low 40s,” he said.