Homecoming week features free Young Buffalo concert

Mississippi State University’s Student Association has officially kicked off its 2014 homecoming festivities. The theme of this year is “In Maroon We Trust.”

Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. there will be a free concert in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium featuring Young Buffalo. 

There is no cost to attend the concert, but tickets are required and students may pick them up at the Center for Student Activities, Suite 314, in the Colvard Student Union or at the door before the event starts.

Young   Buffalo      is an indie rock band from Oxford, Mississippi, consisting of Ben Yarbrough and Jim Barrett. The pair began to write music together when they were teenagers and went on to form their first band during high school. 

In 2009, Barrett self- recorded an EP under the name “Young Buffalo,” which marked the beginning of their new career. The recordings ended up being well- received locally, and the duo brought the Young Buffalo project to life.

Jamia Brown, sophomore fashion major, said she joined SA this semester. She said this year’s homecoming will be one for the books.

“Being a part of SA has been an amazing experience thus far. It brings so much joy to me to know that I contributed to the excitement of homecoming and the events planned,” she said. “The concert is just one of the many great events the students can look forward to.”

Music Maker Productions (@Music_Maker) took to Twitter Sunday to inform the students and staff about their location and free tickets.

“Our ticket table is up and ready in the Union to give away FREE (@YOUNGBUFFALO)tickets for tomorrow’s FREE SHOW. Come by and see us,” MMP tweeted. 

Fans can also look forward to the concert. Bonnie Brumley, senior art major, demonstrated his excitement via Twitter as well. 

“Yo! People! Free show in Lee @ 7:30 next Tuesday. Chasing Edom opening for Young Buffalo. Mississippi bands, so come check it! @Music_Maker.”

Other events include a Holmes Cultural Diversity Center sponsored comedy show featuring comedian Emmanuel Hudson, a #TBT movie night showing of “The Little Rascals,” the annual homecoming parade and the National Pan-Hellenic Council Step Show.

For more information on the events, contact the Center for Student Activities      at (662)325-2930.