Pumpkin spice everything: fall arrives

It’s time to break out the leather  boots and cardigans. As we drift further into the heart of autumn, students are geared up for what some consider their favorite time of the year, a time of sweaters and scarves, leaves turning, pumpkin spice, hit TV shows and football.

Ayesha Hicks, senior chemical engineering major, said her favorite things about autumn consist of fall fashion, and the holidays.

“Scarves  are my favorite. You can wear them with anything, and they can transform any outfit,” she said. “I love being able to go home for fall break and Thanksgiving break to spend time with my family. Getting a break from classes is also a plus.”

Autumn is also the time when coffee shops begin to serve holiday drinks. From Starbucks’s signature red holiday cups to Strangebrew’s caramel apple cider, fall is a time when coffee connoisseurs rejoice.

Fall also produces some of the most beautiful scenery and unpredictable weather, which for some creates a more comfortable campus atmosphere.

Phatozja Kennedy, junior elementary education major, said she really enjoys fall weather.

“The weather is so nice. It gives me a reason to drink more coffee and eat a lot of soup,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy also feels television is more interesting in the fall.

“Old Halloween movies and reruns are the best, not to mention ‘Scandal’,” she said.

Stephanie Fields, a non-traditional senior interdisciplinary studies major, said she also loves the autumn atmosphere.

“I love everything about fall, from the smell, the unpredictable temperature, to the color of the trees,” Fields said. “Taking nature walks with my grandkids to watch the animals and feed the birds is my favorite fall pastime.”

Although many love the constant change in temperature, it is an inconvenience for others.

Fantasi Curry, senior industrial engineering major, said although the erratic weather pattern makes for an uncomfortable atmosphere, when the weather is right, she loves dressing in the latest fall fashion.

“It starts out cold in the morning, but by the time the afternoon rolls around, it is extremely hot, which can be a little uncomfortable when you have layers of clothes on,” Curry said. “However, if I had to choose a fall favorite, it would be slouch boots and blue jeans.”

To some, autumn is just another season. To others, autumn is the grand finale of the year. It provides breathtaking outdoor scenery, special time to spend with the family, cardigans and boots and not to mention pumpkin spice everything.

Aside from this time of year’s unpredictable weather, students find joy in the little pleasures which come along with the fall season. Campus is flooded with autumn-loving students, which can be attributed not only to the frequent holidays from class, but also the comfortable atmosphere, and let’s not forget this historic, unforgettable football season.