SA invites students to meet Senators

Mississippi State University and the Student Association will host their second Meet Your SA Senate Day tomorrow. The interactive event will feature senators available for questions in the Colvard Student Union, Allen Hall and McCool Hall from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Brett Harris, SA president, said students should be excited about connecting with the individuals that want to make MSU better.
“Senate is the voice of the students. They represent students on campus and make influential decisions that help better the student experience,” Harris said. “This is an amazing opportunity to be able to express your opinions, ideas and concerns to help better Mississippi State University. Students will be able to meet the people that represent them on campus. Students can express their opinions and concerns with senators on important issues.”
Lauren Sledge, SA secretary, said changes were made from last year’s event to better improve the overall success of the event.
“This year, we will be having senators set up in Allen, McCool and the Union to meet students and answer questions. Last year, senators were only in the Union on Meet Your Senator Day,” Sledge said. “The goal of the event is for students to meet their senators so they will be able to voice concerns about student life and campus. By meeting their senators in person, we hope that students will feel more comfortable voicing concerns to their senators during the school year.”
There are 30 members in the SA Senate who complete various duties to best represent the members of their respective colleges.
Haley Grantham, SA vice president, said this event will give students a chance to have their voices heard.
 “The Senate does a variety of things. They take both big and small steps to better improve MSU. Any ideas they think are good for the university start in Senate and is then brought to the administration,” Grantham said. “The purpose of this event is that we want to hear any and all problems and suggestions. To do that, Senate is going to where the students are. The best way to interact with the students is to go to high traffic areas like the Union, Allen Hall and McCool.”
Grantham also said this event gives students the opportunity to submit feedback to  SA senators, gaining chance to make changes.
“What is something every student has in common? They all wish some things about State could be better. Basically, we are trying to get that feedback from students. Meet Your SA Senate Day gives students the chance to get in contact with the people that are representing them,” Grantham said.