Counseling services provides guidance, help for students

Student Counseling Services at Mississippi State University offers a variety of services and a source of comfort for students. 
According to a survey posted on usatoday.com, nearly one in every 10 students seeks mental health counseling. 
The survey states in 2014, there has been an increase in cases of depression and stress. 
According to Student Counseling Services at Mississippi State University, a safe and confidential environment is provided to students in search of help. 
Student Counseling Services is located in Hathorn Hall 115C under the direction of Leigh Jensen.
In 2013, usatoday.comreported 1,100 college students committed suicide.  
The counselors on staff specialize in areas ranging from depression, self-esteem, grief and loss to relationships and roommates.
Coordinator of Mental Health Outreach Kim Kavalsky, specializes in self-empowerment, substance abuse and suicide prevention at Mississippi State University. Kavalsky said she serves as a source of support for students across campus.
“My job duties are to provide displays, programs and classroom presentations on mental health topics to bring awareness to students and connect them with resources,” Kavalsky said. 
MSU is one among several leading universities that offer help to students. 
Students interested in what services MSU provides are encouraged to visit health.msstate.edu.
The website answers frequently asked questions and gives students background information on the center. 
Individual sessions are offered as well as group counseling. Students will be asked to complete an intake assessment upon arrival. 
Counselors allow students to determine how often the services are needed. 
Most issues can be resolved by the staff Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. through 5 p.m.
More serious issues may be referred off campus by counselors. 
Yvette Harris, licensed professional counselor who deals with sexual assault prevention, depression and healthy relationships, said she strives to maintain professional confidentiality when counseling students.
“I provide confidential services to all enrolled students at Mississippi State University,” Harris said. “Services include individual therapy, group therapy, crisis intervention, referral and consultation.” 
Most services are free of charge to MSU students.
Among its female staff, the center also has male counselors available.
Chris Turner and Keenyn R. Wald are on-staff counselors at the center.
Turner, who is a national certified counselor, also specializes in LGBT concerns. Wald works with sports counseling and performance. 
The center also offers advice to students who wish to refer a fellow student for counseling.