Coffee, culture, conversations link diverse students

The Holmes Cultural Diversity Center will sponsor “Coffee, Culture and Conversation” Thursday in the Colvard Student Union. The event will be held on the first floor at 3 p.m. in Starbucks. 
Sushil Poudel said she hopes for another great turn-out at the event, since it went so well last year. As an international student, Poudel said she looks forward to helping other students learn and make the best of their future experiences.
“Coffee, Culture and Conversation is not a new concept of the program,” Poudel said. “It is one of the successful events we had last year. Dr. Lokesh Shivakumaraiah was the facilitator last year, and for this year we have Dr. Rani Sullivan.” 
Poudel said the  event is open for everyone. “International students will benefit from the stories and experiences that our speaker will share,” she said. “They will get some important guidelines for adapting on the environment of MSU and make the best out of it. It will be a great opportunity to mix with American students for international students and vice-versa.”
Poudel said she  believes the event, including the guest speaker will motivate students.
Rani Sullivan, professor of aerospace engineering and guest speaker for the event, said she thinks this will be a useful event because these types of programs convey MSU’s sincere consideration of its students and their continued growth. 
Event sponsorer, the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, offers another opportunity to encourage and assist international students in creating a smoother transition into the life of a college student.
“I am glad to participate in this event. I hope that I can impart some useful information to the students that will be attending,” she said. “This event will be interactive and I hope to address topics that are of concern and importance to the international students in attendance.  I will convey the opportunities and resources that exist at MSU to aid international students during their adjustment to college life at MSU and in the U.S. in general.”
By attending this event, students will earn themselves a free cup of coffee from Starbucks. Ashley Hollins, sophomore biology major, said she plans to attend the event because it is different and exciting.
“Even though I am not an international student, I still think I can learn some interesting things from this event and maybe even get a few of the questions I have answered. I know attending State is not typically easy for them, so this event will be extremely helpful for all of us,” she said.
According to Sullivan, the event will discuss the pros and cons of life in the United States as well as interactive topics. Both international and American students are asked to attend.
“The Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, the sponsor of this event, is to be congratulated for offering another opportunity to encourage and assist international students to a smoother transition to college life,” Sullivan said.