Faculty senate considers giving benefits to same-sex employees

Assistant professor of political science Ravi Perry has requested the faculty senate at Mississippi State University to assist in correcting the non-discrimination policy in a letter to the president of the faculty senate Gerald Emison on January 17.
Perry said in the letter, “I am writing to request the Robert Holland Faculty Senate assist in correcting a deficiency in Mississippi State University’s human resources management practices. Although the Mississippi State University’s non-discrimination policy includes the protected class of sexual orientation, there is no access to health care benefits when persons identified under that protected class seek to secure said benefits. The consequence is that MSU’s human relations policies are at variance with its stated policies and should be brought into alignment with the more applicable non-discrimination policy governing the university.”
Emison said the resolution asks the university’s Human Resources Department to examine alternative ways for providing health benefits to spouses of faculty members who are the same sex. Perry’s letter explains his views on the disparity in provision of such benefits under current practice. 
“The process, which is standard for any request from an individual faculty member, is for the senate to refer the request to a committee of the senate for it to develop a recommendation for overall senate action. In this case, since the matter concerns benefits, it was referred to the University Resources Committee of the senate. That referral took place in the Senate meeting of Feb. 14,” Emison said. “I expect the senate will deal with this as it would any faculty member’s request. We will give it careful analysis in the committee, and the committee will bring its recommendation to the full senate. The senate will debate it and then take an action.”
Perry also quoted Martin Luther King.
“Providing these benefits aligns with the core beliefs and values of the university, the state of Mississippi and the U.S. constitution. The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. urged us to make real the promises of democracy and to make justice a reality. In doing so, he reflected John Rawls’ views of treating equally those in equal circumstances, a fundamental basis for human rights,” Perry said. 
The current non-discrimination policy in place at MSU states that “Mississippi State University is committed to assuring that the university and its programs are free from discrimination and harassment based upon race, color, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, status as a U.S. veteran or any other status protected by state or federal law.”
Judy Spencer, chief human resources officer at MSU, said it is premature for her to comment on the contents of the letter, but she does support the university’s non-discrimination policy. 
“This is a letter that went to faculty senate. It is my understanding that the issue will be assigned to a committee within the faculty senate. If a recommendation is made for review, it will come from the faculty senate to the provost first, and then to me,” Spencer said. 
The MSU Faculty Senate is scheduled to meet March 21, and the meeting will be broadcasted live on facultysenate.msstate.edu.