Iraqi and Kurdish officials visit MSU, promote scholarships

The International Institute at Mississippi State University sponsored Iraqi officials Ammar Alsahrawi and Karwan Zebari in their presentation of respective scholarship programs for Iraqi and Kurdish students on Feb. 19 in Fowlkes Auditorium in the Colvard Student Union. 
Karin Lee, manager of International Students and Scholars at MSU, said there are currently 13 Iraqi and Kurdish students pursuing graduate degrees at MSU.  According to Lee, many of these students have full funding from the Iraqi Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
 “The International Institute has been working for two years to get an opportunity to talk to the two gentlemen, but the faculty did not get a chance to get in contact until now,” Lee said.  “Iraq is a country that has been ripped apart by wars, and the country as a whole is trying to rebuild. Iraqi students are trying to rebuild and get a better education.”
Lee said language barriers can cause students to become hesitant about asking questions. She said students at MSU can be ambassadors for assisting students in learning new cultures.
Brian Shoup, associate professor of political science and public administration, said the Iraqi and Kurdish regional government tries to cultivate relationships between the U.S., Iraq and Kurdistan and help students catch up academically.
“The scholarship programs are designed to make Iraqi graduate students come here,” Shoup said. “The Kurds have been interested in developing academic institutions.”
Shoup said the Iraqis and Kurds focus on developing higher education.
“Most of us were not really aware of the scholarship programs,” Shoup said. “This presentation generated a great opportunity for American students to meet Iraqi students. MSU really wants to cultivate links between nations, and he believes doing so will not only benefit MSU, but benefit the country.”
Rick Travis, associate dean of Academic and Student Affairs, said the Iraqi and Kurdish officials try to promote education in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) fields, especially with doctoral students.
“The greatest challenge for these students is learning English,” Travis said. “The generation of Iraqis needs better trained professors.”
Travis said the faculty left the presentation enthused about finding qualified students with financial support.
“The scholarship programs that were talked about can attract good students who are financially able to pay to come to MSU,” Travis said. “There are currently 13 Iraqi and Kurdish students in the program, and we hope to acquire more.”
Travis said the presentation was informative and helpful.
“We hope to see an expansion with good students,” Travis said.