New Starkville police chief announced

The Starkville Board of Aldermen named Captain R. Frank Nichols the new Starkville Police Department chief with a six to one vote in favor of the motion at Tuesday’s Board of Aldermen meeting. 
Ward 3 Alderman David Little voted against the hire. 
Nichols has worked on the Starkville Police Department force since 1992 and recently became the administrative captain. 
Nichols said the appointment process went well and he feels very proud to serve Starkville.
“I am extremely pleased and extremely thankful to the people of the City of Starkville for their support during this time of interviews and appointment. I am very grateful and humbled,” Nichols said. 
Former city administrator Lynn Spruill said Nichols has all the skills and experience to make an excellent chief of police for the City of Starkville. She said Nichols gave a superior interview and was by far the best candidate for the board to choose.
“He has the background and the community support that will serve him in good stead as he moves the department forward. In his interview, he spoke to the goals that he has for the department and those are all the things that will keep up on the path to excellence. In particular, his desire for additional manpower, appropriate compensation and to maintain the departmental accreditation is significant in having the department represent the city in a progressive manner. I look forward to his success in his new position as chief,” Spruill said. 
Mississippi State University police chief interim chief Kenneth Spencer said he has faith in Nichols abilities as chief.
“We congratulate him on his position and he will do fine,” Spencer said. 
Nichols said his initial plan as the SPD chief is to re-build and enhance the relationship between the police department and the community.
Nichols was appointed the SPD chief three months after David Lindley, the former SPD chief, was placed on an administrative leave by the Board of Aldermen.
Nichols said he thinks about the positive aspects of the job.
“My main concern is to be serving and protecting the citizens,” Nichols said.