Manning’s legacy misleading to fans

If I told you an NFL quarterback has posted career numbers of 64,964 yards passing, 491 touchdowns, completed over 65 percent of his passes and had a passer rating of 97.2 plus five MVP awards, 13 pro bowl appearances and an overall record of 167-73 in 15 seasons, what would you think of said quarterback? 
One might believe that quarterback to be the greatest of all-time. If not, certainly in the top five of all-time. Well, what if I also told you that same quarterback has a career record in the playoffs of just 11-12, only won one Super Bowl and actually came up small in numerous big games when his team needed him the most. Would those facts then change your perception of the quarterback who had all the gaudy regular season numbers? 
Those are Peyton Manning’s numbers, and that is the dilemma NFL historians, analysts and fans have struggled with for some time now when it comes to trying to rank him all-time. 
His performance in Super Bowl XLVIII perhaps complicated things even more, and some even say it might have even hurt his legacy. So where exactly does Manning stand after the Broncos debacle in the Super Bowl? 
Well, the first thing I would say is the answer to that question is an opinion, and it varies depending on who you ask. I do not think Manning’s performance in the Super Bowl hurt his legacy much because I was not surprised. 
His lack of success in the playoffs is the main reason why I picked the Broncos to lose all three games they played this postseason. They won the first two, but in the end Manning did not disappoint. 
He was the accident waiting to happen like he always is around this time of year. Despite perhaps the greatest regular season in NFL history and winning two playoff games to get to his third Super Bowl, Manning never had me fooled. 
A win against the No. 6 Chargers who sneaked into the playoffs by the luck of the Irish and a win against a Patriots team completely decimated by injury did not impress me. When it was truly time, Manning folded like a cheap tent in a thunderstorm, and true to form he was “Pick Six Peyton” at his finest. 
I had Manning seventh on my list of all-time NFL quarterbacks before Sunday’s game. If you ask me if the Super Bowl loss hurt his legacy, I will tell you no because he was not that high on the list to begin with. 
But for many people out there who had him top-three or better, they really need to re-evaluate what their criteria for all-time greatness is at that position. 
If all someone cares about is stats, then fine, they got me, Manning is the greatest or certainly top five. 
When I think about the greatest of the greatest at that position, I think about guys who, when the going got tough, could lift their team up, put them on their shoulders and carry the team to victory. Manning is just not that guy. 
When I think about the best of the best to ever play NFL quarterback, I think about Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Otto Graham, John Elway and Tom Brady. 
Those guys got it done in playoff time. They got it done in the clutch, and they did not wilt beneath the pressure on multiple occasions like Manning. 
You have to have Manning top-10 all-time just because of his statistics, ability and awards, but hopefully after his performance in Super Bowl XLVIII, everyone now knows Manning in no way, shape or form is anything close to being the greatest anything of all-time.