A call to action for Millennials

It is no secret members of our millennial generation are often identified by the technological devices that seem to be extensions of our physical bodies.
    We are under constant scrutiny for our supposed detachment from reality and selfishness that has stemmed from an obsession with our phones, tablets and the like. To a certain degree, our critics are correct with their generalizations about our behavior.
    We spend less time writing letters and reading hard cover books than some of our older counterparts, and we hate ourselves for it. We constantly urge ourselves and one another other to get rid of the devices, but, let’s be honest, as much as we despise ourselves for this distracted lifestyle, these habits show no signs of dissolving.
    This brings me to my point: instead of putting our energy into the fruitless battle to abolish our millennial dependency to iPhones and laptops, I suggest we focus on using the devices in the best ways possible. Rather than condemning new technology for its negative results (short attention spans, the conceited practice of taking selfies, etc.), we should admire the fact that because of this technology, we have access to virtually every piece of information that has ever been created, printed or discussed and that we have the ability to interact and exchange ideas with different cultures and experience infinite differing worldviews.
   If I want to read legislation on foreign policy between the U.S. and Libya, I can pull it up in four  seconds. If I want to watch a lecture on how scientists were able to split an atom, I can check out YouTube and instantly be more informed. However, I could also spend four hours on BuzzFeed taking quizzes to see which vegetable I would be (probably squash) or which ‘90s pop star I should befriend (Gwen Stefani, obviously). I could start a discussion on Twitter with individuals my age from across the globe, or I could send my sister a Snapchat of my double chin.
   This is the real struggle we should address: not the constant use of our technology, but how we use it. Our focus needs to be on utilizing our intimate relationships with these devices to enrich, rather than entertain, ourselves. The fault in our generation is not that we have these devices at our disposal. That, if anything, is a tremendous benefit to all generations, past, present and future. Our generation’s fault is squandering all that these devices have to offer.  
   With the advances our generation has experienced first hand, there is no doubt we have the potential to be the most informed, cultured and educated generation to date. But in order to achieve this, we must embrace the amazing capacity for education provided to us through the Internet, social media and other technological entities.
     I am not suggesting we millennials do not need to be constantly reminded to drop the phone and engage in physical social interaction. We certainly do. However, being a college student, I know this is a message that often goes in one earbud and out the other, so instead of urging that we put down the phones, I am encouraging my peers (and myself, of course) to take full advantage of the information we have at our fingertips. Bypass the Candy Crush and Flappy Bird and opt for a news article or two.