Local restaurant promotes fresh food, sustainability

Restaurant+Tyler
Leon Carruba
Restaurant Tyler

At 100 East Main St. in downtown Starkville, Restaurant Tyler does business in partnership with the “eat local” movement and uses fresh and local ingredients from around the Golden Triangle region. 
Daniel Doyle, executive director of the Mississippi Sustainable Agriculture Network, said the restaurant has become one of the culinary leaders in the state by supporting local farmers, including those using sustainable practices, by making it a priority to purchase from them as much as possible.
“This is good for the economy, increases the quality of their dishes and plays a part in developing a resilient, sustainable and regenerative system of food production and consumption,” Doyle said. “It is wonderful to go into restaurants throughout Starkville and around the state and begin to see plates featuring local organic produce, grass-fed beef or free-range eggs.”
“In a state with such a rich agricultural history, it is shame that we currently produce such a small amount of the food we consume,” Doyle said.
Brian Kelley, Co-owner of Restaurant Tyler and a law graduate from the University of Mississippi said the restaurant is committed to providing sustainable foods.
“The overwhelming majorities of our offerings are local or regional and are provided by sustainable farmers,” Kelley said. “Our produce and the majority of our proteins are sourced from local farmers. As a community, by supporting local sustainably-run farms, we not only invest in our own health and the health of our neighbors, but we also contribute to the overall wellbeing of our local economy,” Kelley said. 
Ty Thames and Brian Kelley, who first met as college roommates, own three other restaurants including Zorba’s Greek Tavern, Bin 612 and Rock Bottom as part of the “Eat Local” movement in Starkville. 
Doyle said citizens can support local farmers and the regrowth of the local food system by buying from them even if that means paying a bit more, going out of your way or spending more time in the kitchen preparing meals with whole foods.
“Ultimately, you get what you pay for and what you put in. If you want quality, healthy, fresh food that is good for your family, your community and the environment, we need to make that a priority and be willing to sacrifice convenience and resist the artificially low costs of industrialized food products,” Doyle said. 
Marianne Ulmer, Starkville resident, said she has eaten at Restaurant Tyler on multiple occasions with family and friends. 
“My experiences have been wonderful. Good food and a peaceful and relaxing dining atmosphere. Ty does a great job, and I would recommend that everyone gives it a try,” Ulmer said.