Worst Snubs: Book Adaptations

There should be an Oscar award for best film adaptation of a book. “Ender’s Game,” “Catching Fire” and “The Book Thief” all excellently represent the books they are based on with beautiful direction and skilled acting. “The Book Thief” and “Ender’s Game” both have child protagonists, and these young actors play their complex roles accurately and artfully. 

Asa Butterfield, who plays Ender Wiggin in “Ender’s Game” portrays a young, exceptionally gifted military commander with ease and remains sympathetic. Sophie Nélisse plays Leisel Meminger in “The Book Thief” shows her audience how she begins to love and trust her new family, how she admires and respects Jews and how she naively, but fearfully, perceives the Nazis.    

The cast of “Catching Fire” steps up their game as well. As Katniss, Jennifer Lawrence has more emotional scenes than in “Hunger Games” and excellently portrays Katniss’s strength and fear. The films’ performances really set these movies apart, but the sets and special effects add beauty to these well-written movies. 

“Ender’s Game,” based on a sci-fi classic, revolves around a war in outer space. Special effects can overpower at times, especially when characters are in zero gravity, but the film realistically constructs every necessary scene while focusing on the main character.    

“Catching Fire” accurately portrays the districts and arena from the book without being overdone or losing focus on the characters. 

“The Book Thief,” “Ender’s Game” and “Catching Fire” were excellent movies, and as adaptations, they stayed true to the books. They really got snubbed by the Oscars.