Lacrosse team wins Club Sport of the Year

Mississippi State University’s Lacrosse club team, a combination of basketball, soccer and field hockey, won the 2014-2015 Club Sport of the year. After two months of paper work and dedication, women’s lacrosse finally  emergered onto Mississippi State University’s campus. The women’s lacrosse club originated just last spring, and what started out as just a few members is now a complete team. A full team requires 12 people, and the club now has 20. The team’s commitment and enthusiasm paid off this year as the MSU women’s lacrosse club won the Club Sport of the Year.”
Abby Booth, freshman lacrosse club member, said she has loved lacrosse since high school and playing for State has only made that love grow.
 “It is an extreme honor to win ‘Club Sport of the Year’ because it all still feels brand new. Technically this is our second season, but it feels like our first real season. Last year it was just a few girls, but now we are a full team,” Booth said. “I played lacrosse all four years of high school. The sport has always been close to my heart. Since playing for State, I love lacrosse even more because the team is like a family to me.” 
“This team is probably the best thing to happen to me in college.”
“Club Sport of the Year” is given to the clubthat stands above the rest. There are monthly meetings and the clubs have to speak about why each of them would deserve the honor. In the end, all 24 clubs vote for the club they think deserves it.
Kristen Kennedy, president of the Women’s Lacrosse Club, said she quickly decided she wanted to start a women’s lacrosse club.
“I was originally very disappointed to hear there was a guys’ lacrosse team but not a girls’ team. I know Mississippi doesn’t know a lot about lacrosse and I wanted to give people to the chance to learn all about it,” Kennedy said. “Lacrosse means everything to me. It’s more than something interesting on a resume. It teaches you a lot about yourself.”
Kennedy said that any student debating about joining lacrosse should just go for it.
“I know lacrosse can look very intimidating at first. It may look scary, but more than half of the team is made up of girls who have never played before and were just curious about the game. All it takes is practice,” Kennedy said.
In addition to finally receiving recognition, the Women’s Lacrosse Club also received a picture and a plaque in the Sanderson. 
Allison Hunter, Lacrosse Club treasurer, said she initially joined the team to stay active and since, she has come to appreciate the sport and her team. 
“It all started as just something to do to pass the time. I had a friend who played on the team and she wanted me to try it out,” Hunter said. “Now, I live for this sport. It started out with just five girls. Just to see how far we have come and finally know that people recognize our accomplishments is great.”