Walk-up songs keep long standing tradition alive for Bulldogs

Brett+Pirtle
Emma Katherine Hutto
Brett Pirtle

There are many favorite traditions fans enjoy at the ballpark which make baseball America’s favorite past time. The chants of the crowd, the classic culinary treats and concessions and crowd participation in activities such as the wave draw in crowds year in and year out to the diamond. But more recently, there is a subtler note, which has become a fan favorite — the walk-up song. 
Music has been a staple in ballparks ever since “The Star Spangled Banner” piped through the organs in the 1918 World Series when the Boston Red Sox knocked off the Chicago Cubs. But in recent years, organ tunes and songs about crackerjacks, which provide nostalgia like a vintage, broken-in mitt, have taken a back seat to contemporary tunes for players’ approach to the batter’s box or mound.
These catchy tunes gained notoriety and attention in nearly every Major League Baseball park, but more relatively, Mississippi State University fans can enjoy their Bulldogs express themselves with every at bat or appearance on the mound.
MSU Head Coach John Cohen said he enjoys the musical aspect of the game because it allows his players to have fun and express themselves.
 “I think it’s fun for the kids. We want them to have fun, and we want them to have an individualistic attitude, but within the framework of the team,” he said. “I think it’s fun for them as long as it’s not anything outrageous.”
Bulldog fans have enjoyed staples songs from past Bulldogs, and current Bulldogs confess the song selection is one of the hardest decisions they will have to make.
Cohen said the Bulldogs did not have walk-up songs when he played at MSU from 1987-90, and he too would have a difficult time choosing a song to introduce him at the plate.
“I don’t know. As a kid I was a huge Billy Joel fan, but I don’t know if that plays well at a ballpark,” he said. “I haven’t given a lot of thought to that.”
With a monumental decision on each player’s shoulders, each player takes careful consideration into which song with best identify the introduce them. Junior transfer Seth Heck hails from Edmonds, Wash., and chose Reggae classic “Let’s Do It Again” by J Boog to establish his West Coast roots.
“I want to be different. I’m not from this part of the country, and I’ve got to represent the West coast. It’s always good to have something people recognize, fans like and something fans can get into every time you get up to the plate.”
Along with something each individual athlete likes, players also take into consideration something the fans can interact with as well. 
Fans enjoyed catcher Nick Ammirati’s classic “Rattle” by The Bingo Players during MSU’s run to the 2013 College World Series. Senior Brett Pirtle said he enjoyed the fans’ enthusiasm so much, that when it came time to select his song for this year, he returned to the Dudy Noble Field classic.
“Since (Ammirati) left I just kind of took it over. I told him before the spring started I had the song, and he was actually really happy I had it because he loves that song,” Pirtle said. “Just getting that song back — I love seeing all the people in the stands dance and staying in the game, so that’s the reason I got it.”
Finally, each player not only wants something that will epitomize their identity, but also strike fear in the opponents from the first note. 
Opponents and fans relate to the fear when junior closer Jonathan Holder’s “God’s Gonna Cut You Down” by Johnny Cash cues over the speakers. 
Although the tune has become one of the top favorites at Dudy Noble Field, Holder said he was not fully sold on the song when he was first introduced to the track. 
“I was up in Cape Cod, and I was playing with (catcher) Kyle Schwarber from Indiana (University), and he let me listen to it one day. He said, ‘Hey man, you should use this as your walk-up song. It’s pretty good for a late-inning bullpen guy.’ I listened to it, and honestly I didn’t really like it at first because it’s kind of slow,” Holder said. “I listened to it a few more times and thought about running in to it and it, kind of grew on me.”
Holder said as soon as the Bulldog crowd stands and cheers in reaction to the first few notes, he knows he made the right choice. 
“The adrenaline gets pumping a good bit when I come in and the crowd stands up and starts hollering,” he said.
Although former and some current Bulldogs will go down in history for their hard work, perseverance and accolades throughout their careers in Maroon and White, each one will always be remembered for their 20 seconds of fame blasted through the speakers of Dudy Noble Field.