MSU national panhellenic fraternity back on the yard

It has been eight years since the brothers of the Eta Upsilon chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated have walked the Mississippi State University campus. 
Eta Upsilon was chartered on January 22, 1974 and was the first Black Greek Letter Organization on MSU’s campus. The Spring 2014 members are: De’Ronnius Young, Justin Matthews, Christopher Armon, Jarell Colston, Winston Williams, James Bishop, Jamal Brown, Donte Thomas, Jonathan Peterson and John James, Jr.     Members of the Eta Upsilon chapter have been and are actively involved in Student Association, Orientation Leaders, Road Runners, Alumni Delegates, Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, Men of Excellence and Montgomery Leadership Fellows.  
Matthews, a senior mechanical engineering major, said Eta Upsilon will create a more competitive atmosphere at MSU. 
“Adding another fraternity will make Greek life better because all the fraternities will be creating more education opportunities, scholarships, social events and community service events,” Matthews said.
Kappa Alpha Psi was founded January 5, 1911 on the campus of Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind., on the principles of achievement, public service and fellowship. 
“For the community service we plan to have numerous service events. Most of these events will deal with the youth and encouraging them to attend college after they graduate,” Matthews said. 
After graduating, Matthews said he has interviews with General Mills, Atoms Energy, and General Electric. 
“My ultimate life goal is to work with sports from a technical aspect. I want to design new equipment to help build faster, stronger, and better athletes,” Matthews said. 
Brown, senior computer engineering major, said he has accepted a full-time job offer with Halliburton Oilfield Service Company. 
“After graduation I will begin working as an Associate Technical Professional in Hydraulic Fracturing/Acidizing in Hobbs, New Mexico,” Brown said. 
Brown also said Kappa Alpha Psi has inspired him to achieve great things and to branch out and make relevant change in the community. 
“My ultimate goal in life is to make a difference in the world, even if it’s in small way,” Brown said.
According to Brown,   the Eta Upsilon chapter’s main focus is to inspire students and people of the community to remove any limitations and succeed at everything they do.
 “The entire Eta Upsilon family plans to reach this goal by staying active on campus and in the community by giving as much as we can, whether it is tutoring, fundraisers, etc. We also plan on setting an example to other males on campus and in the community by staying proactive in our academic endeavors in attempt to personify how a successful male should be,” Brown said. “The most significant thing I have learned about being Greek is to carry myself positively at all times. By being Greek, people tend to watch everything you do and/or look up to you, so I have learned to carry myself respectfully and positively in everything I do.” 
De’Ronnius Young, senior criminology and political science double major, said he will attend graduate school at Texas A&M University  in September 2014. Young also said his plans include pursuing a Masters degree in sociology and working as a graduate residence director. 
“My ultimate goal is to become a professor at a university. I also want to advocate for education equity for underprivileged youth,” Young said.
 Young said he joined Kappa Alpha Psi to be a member of an organization that shares the same morals and values that he upholds personally.
“Joining this organization has taught me the importance of networking, selflessness and fraternity,” Young said.  “I’ve been so blessed to become a part of such a sacred bond of men who have given me guidance and wisdom. Eta Upsilon has been a role model for me and I hope to be a role model for someone else one day.”
Eta Upsilon is hosting a week of events to promote the chapter. Entitled “ReKlaiming the Throne,” the weeks events will include the “Kappa Klassik,” a 3-on-3 team basketball tournament to be held  at 3 p.m. Friday in the Sanderson Center on campus. They will also host “Kopy Kappa: Shimmy Like a Nupe Kontest,” at 7:11 p.m. Wednesday in the Colvard Student Union Foster Ballroom. Tickets are $3 in advance and $5 at the door.
For more information, contact Donte Thomas at [email protected]
Editor’s Note: The Reflector’s April 25, 2014 edition featured a ‘Keep it safe’ stand alone of the Eta Upsilon chapter of ‘Kappa Alpha Psi,’ not Phi Kappa Psi. The Reflector apologizes for mistakes made.