Bulldog baseball takes conference series against No. 3 Commodores

Mississippi State University accomplished something that had not been done since 2012 this past weekend when they returned home for their series against Vanderbilt. MSU won the weekend series over the Commodores, which was the first time Vanderbilt had dropped an SEC weekend in two years.
The Bulldogs blasted the Commodores on Friday night, with a 17-2 score. 
Seth Heck placed himself firmly in the starting lineup after he continued his strong play in this season. 
On Friday Heck had two hits, two base on balls, three runs and four RBIs. 
It was Heck’s fourth multi-hit game this season and was a career high in RBIs.
Bulldog Head Coach John Cohen praised Heck’s patience and work ethic at the plate.
“The thing about Seth is he had been crushing the ball for the last couple of weeks and had nothing to show for it,” Cohen said. “He didn’t change anything he was doing, which is hard for a young hitter. He stayed patient, kept working at it and now those balls are finding the holes.”
Sophomore pitcher Preston Brown recorded his first start in SEC play on Friday. 
Brown (3-0) allowed seven hits and two earned runs through eight innings. 
He also recorded three strikeouts against the Commodore hitters.
Cohen said Brown’s ability to keep the ball on the ground allowed the MSU defense to take control of the game.
“Preston really gave us a chance tonight,” Cohen said. “He got a ton of ground-ball outs. We want the game to be played on the infield. That is when we are at our best.”
On Saturday the Bulldogs put away the visiting Commodores again by the score of 6-3. 
Ross Mitchell (4-1) took the mound and continued to show why Cohen moved him from a reliever into the starting lineup. 
Mitchell, who allowed six hits through seven and a third innings and two earned runs, said players are settling in on the diamond and playing with confidence. 
“Players are starting to find their roles, and the pitching as been good,” Mitchell said. “That’s what we live and die off of is our pitching. They have been able to really compete, and I just feel like everyone is meshed together. You can see the confidence we’re playing with.”
Heck continued his solid play on Saturday, batting in two runs, which came on possibly the hit of the game. Heck doubled to left center allowing Wes Rea and Alex Detz to score. He also had two base on balls, was hit by two pitches and recorded a hit. 
Heck said his momentum at the plate is all apart of the way players play the game.
“When it’s going well, it’s going well,” Heck said. “Certain pitches are getting called your way, with two strikes you’re getting a hit. You just get on a roll, and that’s just how baseball is.”
MSU fell on Sunday to Vanderbilt 5-1.
The hitting that carried the Bulldogs all weekend went cold on the last day of the series. MSU finished the game with only three hits. 
The Bulldogs had taken advantage of a few errors in the earlier games, but the Commodores did not make any errors in the series finale.
Trevor Fitts (2-1) received the loss for the Bulldogs though only allowing one earned run through six and a third innings. 
Fitts, though, did finish with six strikeouts.
Cohen said despite the loss, his team performed well enough and could have earned a sweep.
“We really pitched it well,” Cohen said. “I am not sure Vanderbilt got a ball to the outfield. We certainly defend it as well as you would have liked. And we have been a very good defensive team all year. However, we certainly pitched it well enough to win for a third straight day.”
The Bulldogs will return to Dudy Noble field Tuesday against Southeast Missouri at 6:30 p.m. before hosting Arkansas this weekend.