University implements new parking meters

Construction
Braden Benson
Construction

In an effort to keep up with changing technology and provide a more customer-friendly product, Mississippi State University has brought new meters to campus. The meters, now solar powered, accept credit and debit cards as payment. 
Parking Services will replace the old meters with updated units, not just add new ones. The new meters will be located at the Colvard Student Union, Garner Hall and Burger King. 
The prices for the updated meters have increased from .50  for 45 minutes to $1.00 for 45 minutes, but there will be no extra fee if a customer uses a credit card. The meter replacement project started March 8 and is scheduled to continue into the summer until June 15. 
Raleigeh Richter, senior parking services officer, said the improved meters are more user-friendly.
“These meters better the campus because now customers have a different method besides digging around for coins. In addition to that, once the meters are working, if a machine error ever occurs a website will be notified, and the website will notify one of us. Problems can be fixed quicker because we will be notified immediately,” Raleigeh said. 
Many students may find issue with the construction occurring in front of the union. The meter replacement is not the cause for the construction in that area.
Jeremiah Dumas, director of parking, transit, and sustainability, said the meters are just a smaller operation in a bigger plan to improve the campus. 
“The sidewalk is being reconstructed so that it can include the same style bricks as Old Main,” he said. “The Lloyd Ricks building and Old Main plaza share the same colored bricks. Now the sidewalk will have the same uniform pattern. Once the sidewalk is replaced, the new meters can be added.”
Dumas said all money collected from the meters is used to supplement general operations, and revenue generated through meters fund campus amenities such as the Bully Bike program, the transit systems and bike lanes. Currently, the meters make about $800 to $900 a week. 
James Marshall, sophomore accounting major, said he was unaware that there would be another construction project and proposed a better way that students are informed. 
“My first concern was that there is already limited parking around the union, and now there will be even less. Students are the people who visit the union most frequently, and I don’t think we were notified properly,” Marshall said. “I suggest we use Maroon Alert for things other than just emergencies. The quickest way to notify students of changes like this is through text. Some people don’t check the website, and some people don’t check their email. We deserve to know things like this.”
Marshall said using the bricks that mirror Old Main in the sidewalk is a great idea that will better the campus.
“As a student here at MSU, I am all for making the campus a more beautiful environment. For now, we’ll just have to be patient and deal with limited parking. I just wish things were not such short notice. With that being said, the meters and the new sidewalk are both great additions to the campus,” he said.