Story taking over as executive director of University Health Services in May

Dr. Clifton Story, who has been a physician at Mississippi State University since 2008, will take over as executive director of University Health Services in May.
As executive health director, Story will be over the Student Health Center, the Counseling Center and Health Education and Wellness.
Story, a MSU alum, said he loves the opportunity he has been given to work at the university. He said he has dreamed of working at MSU since his graduation in 1991.
“I love working in a college town,” Story said. “I love the energy the students have, and I enjoy the opportunity to help make a difference (and) have a positive influence. I’ve come to find that some of the best people in the world are right here in Starkville.”
Story graduated from State with a degree in General Science before earning his MD from the University Medical Center in Jackson. He has since worked in the medical field in Mississippi, Tennessee and overseas in Costa Rica and Colombia as a missionary.
In keeping with his dedication to health, Story decided to make a change to his personal life in 2010.
After going through back surgery during the summer, Story gradually gained weight until he reached 227 pounds.
“On New Year’s Eve 2010, I decided I had to do something drastic,” Story said. “I told my wife I was going to do the Heart of Dixie Triathlon in July 2011. I made the commitment to do whatever it took, if my body held up, to do that triathlon.”
Story went on to not only complete the Heart of Dixie Triathlon, but also multiple triathlons and running events since. He has lost a significant amount of weight, and he said he lists finishing his first event as a “top ten life experience.”
“(After my first triathlon), I did five more triathlons as well as several  running events,” Story said. “I finished up with a half-ironman triathlon in Georgia. During that time I lost about 67 pounds.”
Story said he takes the health and wellness of himself and MSU students very seriously.
Story will be officially taking over as health director upon the retirement of current director Dr. Robert Collins, said he hopes to see the Health Center continue to grow and serve the students at MSU.
“Dr. Collins has done a great job here supporting and promoting prevention, health education and wellness,” Story said. “We will continue to promote and encourage healthy lifestyles and prevention, as I believe those have the biggest impact on one’s health. We will be evaluating what we’ve done previously and what we’re doing currently and look for ways to have a bigger positive impact on the students and staff of MSU.”