Zipcar seeks to increase utility, services to students

After three semesters of use at Mississippi State University, the Zipcar program in Starkville looks forward to becoming more beneficial to students and becoming a more widely used method of student transportation.
Avis, one of the largest car rental companies, recently bought Zipcar for almost $5 million. This business transaction will not result in negative changes for Zipcar at MSU.
Everett Kennard, manager of transportation services, said the change cannot do anything but help both companies and the university with the expansion.
“The university sector will not be changed by the buyout,” Kennard said.
The Zipcar car-sharing program has been available at MSU since the 2011 fall semester. Since then, the program has been in use by students.
Shelby Balius, Student Association president, said the car rental program has two cars located outside the Colvard Student Union available for student use.
“Once a student has registered for the program and rented their car, they are able to use the car for whatever they need,” Balius said.
Students can register online at Zipcar.com.
After registration, students can sign up for dates and specific times to use a Zipcar and will be mailed a usage card to gain access to the car.
“Your card unlocks the car, and the ignition key is inside,” Kennard said.
Balius said the program allows students without cars more freedom and flexibility.
“It gives our students who do not have cars on campus the ability to use the car for their needs even if that means going to a job interview, run errands or go home for a weekend,” she said.
Zipcar also accepts international driver’s licenses.
Kennard and Balius agreed its international compatibility is one of the reasons MSU decided to use the Zipcar program over other similar car-sharing businesses.
“Since many amenities students need are off campus, the Zipcar allows them to borrow a car from the university to get off campus,” Balius said. “Particularly, it helps our international students and students who do not have a car on campus.”
Kennard said students using Zipcar will be fortunately have reserved spots for parking and will not have to fight other students for spaces.
“You do not lose your parking place because Zipcar has reserved parking places,” Kennard said.
Sharing timeslots with friends can also save students money.
“It’s a pretty good deal,” Kennard said. “Gas is furnished up to a certain number of miles.”
The Zipcar program also has the potential to help minimize the number of cars on MSU’s campus and therefore, its parking problem.
“Some universities have utilized Zipcar to minimize the number of cars on campus by buying entire fleets,” Balius said.
Additionally, Kennard said Zipcar can help to reduce MSU’s carbon footprint.
“It can replace some vehicles and help the greenery of the university and its emissions and number of vehicles,” Kennard said.
MSU does not receive any monetary gain from the Zipcar program.
“It is a service to students,” Kennard said.
Kennard said Transportation Services continues to work on making the Zipcar program more beneficial to students.
“We would like to see more student usage, and we are still in the mode of trying to see how many cars are needed,” Kennard said.
MSU’s university organizations look to help students save money and Balius said by utilizing Zipcars, they can.
“Students who use Zipcar can save hundreds of dollars every month,” Balius said.