MSU names new registrar

Last week, John Dickerson moved into the corner office on the second floor of Garner Hall, assuming his new position as Mississippi State University’s registrar.
Dickerson, an alumnus of MSU, has a MA in counselor education and a Ph.D. in Community College Leadership.
Prior to his new position, Dickerson spent the last five and half years as vice president of Copiah-Lincoln Community College’s Simpson County Center.
Dickerson brings to MSU an abundance of previous experience working in admissions. Previously he worked in the Office of Enrollment Services, Admissions and Scholarship  at MSU, as well as in admissions at Mississippi College.
Dickerson has only great things to stay about his new position and MSU’s registrar department.
“This office has got a great reputation. It does tremendous work and is in great shape. My hope is to bring my background and my experience and just refine what we’re doing,” Dickerson said.
Dickerson and the registrar department serve campus in numerous ways.
“We have several functions. Probably the one we’re noted for most is keeper of the academic records. We have all the academic records for all the students who’ve taken courses here,” Dickerson said.
In addition, the registrar oversees degree audits and production of the University’s  course catalog. It also schedules commencement ceremonies for graduates.  Dickerson said they schedule two in the spring and one in the fall.
One of the larger undertakings by the registrar is the creation and arranging of the master schedule.
“We are responsible for creating the master schedule. Working for the colleges and departments on classes, where they will be located, seats and availability. It is a massive project,” Dickerson said.
The registrar department looks forward to new undertakings with the new year.
The department will take over responsibility of the University Curriculum Committee.
This new position will encompass curriculum change requests from the different college and departments at MSU.  There will still be a faculty person over the committee, but Dickerson said the registrar department will take over the administrative role.
Dickerson said conclusively the registrar is here to serve campus and assist in any way possible.
“We want the students, faculty and staff of the university to know we’re here to serve them. We want to give the right kind of service and meet the needs of the university community,” Dickerson said.